- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- STEM Center
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- University Core
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Academic Senate
- Waldschmidt Hall Suite 406, MSC 173
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
Academic Senate: MINUTES 04/16/2002
Members present: Dr. Susan Brown, Dr. Rich Christen, Dr. Will Deming, Dr. Thompson Faller, Dr. Terry Favero, Dr. Laura Genik, Mr. Greg Hill, Dr. Mark Kennedy, Dr. Jack Kondrasuk, Dr. Bohn Lattin, Mr. Larry Larsen, Dr. Marlene Moore, Dr. Claude Pomerleau, Dr. Steve Royce, Dr. John Schouten, Ms. Heidi Senior, Dr. David Sherrer, Br. Donald Stabrowski, Dr. Agnes Tenney, Rev. David Tyson, Dr. Anita Wynne, Dr. Zia Yamayee.
Members absent: Dr. Mark Utlaut, Dr. Larry Lewis, Ms. Colleen Bender, Mr. Todd Aguilera
The invocation was given by Dr. Will Deming.
The minutes from the March 19, 2002 meeting were approved.
Standing Committee Reports
Executive Committee: Dr. Faller announced that the Executive Committee was still waiting on a point of clarification from the university lawyers regarding several sections of the Constitution and By Laws of the Senate.He also announced that times for Senate meetings next year would change as a result of changes in afternoon class schedules.Notices will be sent out in the fall to all Senate members on the new times.
Committee on Committees: No report.
Committee on Rank and Tenure: No report.
Committee on Teaching and Scholarship: Dr. Favero announced that the committee has finished its official business for the year. He stated that the Teaching Award goes to Dr. Anita Wynne and the Scholarship Award goes jointly to Franz Mayr and Richard Askay.
Committee on Faculty Welfare: Dr. Tenney announced that the committee will have their final meeting on the 19th to complete their work on the dating policy.She added that the committee will also make recommendations regarding the changes in the Added Choice plan.
Committee on Curriculum and Academic Regulations: No report.
Presidential Advisory Committee Reports
Committee on Student Media: No report.
Committee on Athletics: No report.
Committee on Health and Safety: No report.
Committee on Computing and Telecommunications: Dr. Misener announced that the committee was still finishing the ethical use computing policy and computing the results of the faculty survey on technology.
Student-Faculty Court: No report.
Dean’s Meetings: Br. Donald reported that the deans had met with Bill Reed to discuss the plans for Founder’s Day and with Jim Lyons regarding the Weekend on the Bluff. Br. Donald reported that the deans had approved the Faculty Development Day program and will decide the Deans’ Award at the next meeting. He announced that Todd Shank was given a Fulbright Scholarship to China. Karen Nelson presented an analysis on freshman grade distribution. She has started to do a correlation between high school GPA and their first semester GPA here. The deans will hold their retreat at the end of May.
ASUP: No report.
- Roy Heynderickx presented the Preliminary Recap of Revenue and Expenditures for the 2002-2003 budget. He compared the proposed changes to the previous year’s budget.He stated that overall there would be a 7.8% tuition increase with a substantial amount of that money returned to students in the form oF financial aid. He reported that the university faces increasing fixed cost expenditures particularly in utility costs. He stated that faculty would receive a .5% increase in their retirement benefits and a 2.5 % increase in salary. Copies of the budget are available in the library.
- Elections of Officers to the Executive Board were proposed. The slate passed with a unanimous vote by acclamation. The Executive Board members for 2002-03 are Dr. Thompson Faller, Chair, Dr. Anita Wynne, Secretary, Dr Dakshina Murty, Ranl & Tenure, Dr. Mark Kennedy, Curriculum & Academic Regulations, Mr. Larry Larsen, Teaching & Scholarship, Dr. Agnes Tenney, Faculty Welfare, Dr. Steve Royce, Committee on Committees.
- Nominations were made for committee members to the Committee on Committees. The committee members were then elected by 40% of eligible voters. The committee members for 2002-03 are Dr. David Sherrer, Dr. Joyce Osland, Dr. Elaine Shapiro, and Dr. Martin Monto.
Adjournment: Was at 4:50 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Moira Fallon, Secretary for Academic Senate.