- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Academic Senate
- Franz Hall 427, MSC 149
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
Academic Senate: MINUTES 2/19/2008
I. Call to order and announcements: meeting came to order at 4:05 PM
Jeff announced that new senators will be seated at the April meeting.
· Fr. Beauchamp introduced Dennis Ransmeier, the new Vice President for Financial Affairs.
II. Roll call-- Present: Fr. William Beauchamp, Br. Donald, Sr. Maria Ciriello, Jovelyn Bonilla, Karen Ward, Jeff Gauthier, Chris Hallstrom, Angela Hoffman,
III. Invocation offered by Jovelyn Bonilla
IV. Approval of minutes from 1/15/08 meeting
V. Standing Committee Reports:
i. Executive Committee, Dr. Jeff Gauthier
Most of the discussion that occurred at the Executive Meeting will take place at the time of New Business.
· Presented a general overview of items coming up for discussion in New Business
ii. Committee on Committees, Dr. Todd Easton- Nothing to report.
iii. Committee on Rank & Tenure, Dr. Mark Utlaut- No report.
iv. Committee on Teaching & Scholarship, Dr. Susan Decker
· First faculty colloquium for the spring occurred last Friday; Genevieve Brassard gave a fine presentation.
· Committee in process of reviewing spring Butine proposals
· Committee is receiving and reviewing teaching and scholarship files for faculty awards
· Faculty Development Day in May is being headed up by Ken Kleszynski and Larry Larson; committee is discussing the theme for the day.
v. Committee on Faculty Welfare, Dr. Elise Moentmann- Nothing to report.
vi. Committee on Curriculum & Academic Regulations, Ms. Caroline Mann- The Committee has not met.
VI. Presidential Advisory Committees:
i. Committee on Student Media
· Committee has met, and subcommittees have been chosen for the Log, the beacon, and KDUP. The Committee is now considering people to take the leadership of these subcommittees.
ii. Committee on Athletics- No report.
iii. Committee on Health and Safety
· 1) Pot Holes: They are being repaired. Complete re-surfacing will happen this summer.
· 2) Physical Plant Speeding Carts: Eventually large numbers will be on the back of each cart, and speeding carts are to be reported to Public Safety.
· 3) Dealing with Potentially Dangerous Students: faculty can feel free to call Public safety who can be present in the vicinity of one’s class if faculty find themselves dealing with students under duress from bad grades, stress, etc.
· 4) Key Policy: Faculty are responsible for building keys and need to sign for them. If a key is lost, the faculty member is responsible for the cost of re-keying a building. Considerable discussion followed this policy, and further research will be done on it.
·5) New Construction and Parking Spaces: More parking spaces will be lost as new construction begins.
· 6) Emergency Response System: The system has not yet been purchased. Public Safety is still considering which system will work best for us.
iv. Committee on Information Technology
· The committee has met twice and is recommending that support be given to the Office of Web Services so it can continue with its work on the web portal and the C.I.T. The committee is also working to finalize its “Tech Use Survey.” Finally, the committee is working on establishing wireless points throughout the campus.
v. Committee on Sustainability
· The committee met before Focus the Nation; committee thanks all for the successful Focus the Nation; now evaluating the effectiveness and impact of the day to get people’s feedback as well as reviewing the evaluations.
VII. Other Reports:
i. Fr. William Beauchamp
1) Focus the Nation: Father Beauchamp expressed gratitude to faculty—especially Steve Kolmes and Bill Barnes, students, and ASUP for a very successful Focus the Nation event. Particular gratitude was extended to ASUP for its generous financial support of the event.
2) Chief Information Officer: The position is open; possibilities are being considered.
3) New Budget: The budget is being working on; the coming year will be particularly tight.
4) Enrollment: Applications are in; there are over 8,000 this year, and over 7,000 last year. The big increase continues. Weekend on the Bluff will take place in April for accepted students to come and visit the campus. About 75% end up coming to the University. We expect very strong class, 750 plus freshmen, and the applications are not only large numbers but they are also very strong.
5) January Board of Regents Meeting: Had a very interesting and very good meeting. The two main topics discussed were 1) marketing and branding the University, and 2) the capital campaign, and the future capital campaign--plans for it and the responsibilities of all University constituents.
6) Construction Projects:
· Villa Maria: renovations will begin this summer.
· Shipstad: renovations continue.
· Planning for Additional Buildings: construction will begin when funding for them is secured
· Honorary Degrees will be awarded to: His Eminence Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, The Honorable Edward Leavy, Dr. Roy Heynderickx, Mr. Eugene Wizer, and Ms. Janeen S. McAninch
· Christus Magister Medal: Dr. Peter Tannock
· Graduation Speaker: Ms. Peggy Noonan
ii. Dean’s Meeting (Brother Donald):
· Karen Nelson gave a summary of grade distribution; freshmen grades are rising a bit.
· Robin Anderson and Todd Easton discussed the new proposed major in Economics.
· Drew Harrington reported on the faculty survey that dealt with how the library is being used; there is an increase in usage on the part of faculty who are bringing their classes to the library for library instruction.
· Faculty Offices: space is being surveyed for office space for new faculty; more faculty offices are needed.
· Brenda Greiner reported that 4% of the freshmen did not return; of that 4%, there were no set patterns; retention rate is very good.
· Jason McDonald reported that the admission rate is wonderful
· Deans are meeting tomorrow to discuss and make selections for student awards.
1. This month is online elections; debates are being held
2. Cut capital improvements projects to five: 1) installing a covered bike rack; 2) giving portions of our fund to each dorm; 3) buying something tangible for each dorm; 4) replacing or fixing the victory bell that is cracked; and 5) either putting one of the red box kiosks on campus, or redoing the tables outside the Pilot House
3. New couches for
4. All senators are working on resolutions
5. Senators are following through on the purchase of a senior gift from last year.
VIII. New Business:
1. First Reads: Proposed Amendment to the Constitution regarding committee appointments for when faculty are on sabbatical, leave, or committee resignation.
2. For Discussion: Should Department Chairs be eligible to serve on Rank and Tenure?: Considerable discussion focused around this question. Zia Yamayee made the motion to emend the Constitution to take out the ineligibility of chairs for serving on Rank and Tenure. The Senate charged the Executive Board to write the proposal for voting at the next Senate meeting.
3. Endorsement of ASUP Resolution on University e-mail policy: discussion centered around the effectiveness of Portals for communication of events to students. The Senate endorsed the resolution 0706 and joins ASUP in encouraging the administration to amend the University mass email policy as follows, “to allow a single weekly announcement distributed to entire undergraduate student body by the Office of Student Activities. To permit any student to opt out of the weekly emails by including an opt out link at the end of each email.” This is the resolution. The proposal passed.
X. Adjournment: 5:32 PM