- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Academic Senate
- Franz Hall 427, MSC 149
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
Academic Senate: MINUTES 4/22/2008
I. Call to order and announcements
II. Roll call
III. Invocation: Fr. E. William Beauchamp, CSC
IV. Approval of minutes from 4/22/08 meeting
V. Standing Committee Reports:
i. Executive Committee, Dr. Jeff Gauthier
· Commented on the difficulties of putting together possible candidates for the standing committees.
· Election results:
1. 125 in favor; 2 opposed—passed (Committee members)
2. 39 in favor; 89 opposed—did not pass (Chairs on RAT)
· Commented on the amending of the By-Laws. The vote will take place at the time of new business.
ii. Committee on Committees, Dr. Todd Easton- No report.
iii. Committee on Rank & Tenure, Dr. Mark Utlaut- No report.
iv. Committee on Teaching & Scholarship, Dr. Susan Decker
· Had a good year; awards are finished; faculty awards have been selected.
v. Committee on Faculty Welfare, Dr. Elise Moentmann- No report.
vi. Committee on Curriculum & Academic Regulations, Ms. Caroline Mann- No report.
VI. Presidential Advisory Committees:
i. Committee on Student Media
· Names have been submitted to the President for editors of the Log and Beacon.
ii. Committee on Athletics
·3 subcommittees have met and their report has been submitted to the President.
iii. Committee on Health and Safety
· Met; nothing new or exciting—all old material.
iv. Committee on Information Technology
·Finished their work for the year; making recommendations for continuity for next year; have made some recommendations as to the role of this committee in relation to the Academic Senate; survey results will be published soon; main interest was in having the campus go wireless.
v. Committee on Sustainability- No report.
VII. Other Reports:
i. Fr. William Beauchamp
· Planning for the construction projects and upgrades on campus continues;
·Budget finalized for next year and will be taking it to the Board.
·Monitoring student applications and student loans; numbers still look very good; monitoring pre-registration for next year—numbers look good.
·Have received suggestions for the Beacon, the Log; have not received one for KDUP yet.
·Candidate for Information Technology will be on campus next week; we are making progress on this search.
ii. Dean’s Meeting
· Met three times
· One meeting was dedicated to the use of the new webpage; very positive response
· Had an initial discussion on the possible of having the language school at the University again
· Looking at a vendor about putting course evaluations on the web
· Karen nelson came to the meeting and encouraged that all faculty complete the information technology survey
· Spent time on discussing upcoming graduation weekend
· Doing basic planning for end of the year retreat
· Enrollment updates at every meeting
· Picked the Dean’s Award and the Culligan Award that will be given at the faculty Awards dinner
· Capital improvements: new pavers and benches; project should be completed by the fall
· Introduced Alison Gables, the new vice-president, and Colton Coughlin, the new secretary
· Passed 7 resolutions for the total of 11 this year; one will have to be dealt with in the new year regarding smoking and fostering residentiality
· Looking at increasing sustainability on campus
· Looking at the revision of the sexual policy
· Looking into the possibility of changing the University’s meal
VIII. New Business:
1. Vote on Amendment to the By-Laws on Amendments to the By-Laws
· The amendment passed by full agreement.
2. Election of New Senate Officers
· President- Aziz Inan
· Committee on Committees- Todd Easton
· Secretary- Carol Dempsey
· Curriculum on Academic Regulations- Caroline Mann
· Rank and Tenure- Jill Hoddick
· Faculty Welfare- Anissa Rogers
· Teaching and Scholarship- Susan Decker
3. Election of Faculty to Committee on Committees
· Susan Baillet
· Greg Hill
· John Orr
· Elise Moentemann
IX. Announcements: The Senate thanked Jeff Gauthier for serving as Chair of the Senate for the past two years.
X. Adjournment: 5:46 PM
Note: All members of the University community are welcome to attend any meeting of the Academic Senate. The meetings begin promptly at 4:00 pm.