Army ROTC: Battalion History
The Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC), as it exists today, began with President Wilson signing the National Defense Act of 1916. Although military training had been taking place in civilian colleges and universities as early as 1819, the signing of the National Defense Act brought this training under single, federally-controlled entity: The Reserve Officers' Training Corps.
The Portland Battalion has been training Officers in the greater
Portland area since WWII. Our battalion headquarters is here on the University
of Portland campus. The name "Portland Battalion" encompasses 5 ROTC programs under one unit, with the
headquarters located at the University of Portland (UP). Originally named the
"Pilot Battalion", the Battalion was made up of what was the
Viking Battalion, originally from the Portland State University Campus.In 1996
the ROTC program was moved to the University of
Portland encompassing Portland State University and University of Portland to
create what we call today the Portland Battalion.
Today cadets from University of Portland, Portland State
University, Eastern Oregon University, Lewis and Clark, and Washington State
University-Vancouver train together under the "Portland Battalion"
banner. The Portland Battalion is a cadet run unit that is set-up much like an
Army battalion, with cadets holding all leadership and staff positions. The
battalion trains cadets to guide and direct others as the future Army leaders.