- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Academic Technology Services
- Franz Hall 114, MSC 16
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
Academic Technology Services: Podcasting
What is Podcasting?Podcasting is simply a means of distributing audio and video through the web. However, podcasting’s distinctive virtue is that it enables users (such as students) to subscribe to a podcast (say for a course), and from that point on their computer will automatically check for updates to the podcast, and automatically download new content when it becomes available.
Podcasting could be put to any number of uses, but we are encouraging faculty to consider using it to reach out to students with recorded lectures that can be delivered directly to their personal computers. Think about supplemental materials like audio exercises, or pre-class mini lectures, that could be used to free up valuable in-class time and supplement the educational experience.
What is iTunes U?iTunes U is a service provided by Apple that allows UP faculty the opportunity to capture and, with the assistance of Media Services, upload content to the iTunes U store. iTunes U delivers both audio and video content that can be downloaded by our University students.
How to Access iTunes U:
Public vs. UP-only ContentUP's iTunes U content is a mix of publicly accessible recordings and recordings that are only available to UP students, staff and faculty. If you have a UP user name and password, you can access all UP iTunes U content via the steps mentioned above.
If you do not have a University of Portland user name and password, you can access a limited selection of UP iTunes U content by going to the following URL: http://listen.up.edu
How to request an iTunes U Podcast for your course.
- Fill out the iTunes U Request form.
- Check out equipment from Media Services (if classroom is not equipped for audio/video capture). Media Services will advise on the best option for capturing your content.
- Capture the content from the classroom (recording audio or video).
- Return equipment to Media services for processing.
- Media services will notify the instructor when the Podcast is ready for use by you and your students.
Specialist and Trainer
Franz Hall Rm 113
(inside the Franz lab)