- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Career Services
- Orrico Hall Lower Level, MSC 143
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
Career Services: Career Information for Parents
Career Services is committed to keeping you informed about the services available to your students, about the current job market, and about ways that you can assist career services. You are an important part of your child's career planning; your support is extremely important during career exploration and job search. Below are some resources that may be helpful:
- Parents Guide to Career Development
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- University of Portland Health Center
- University of Portland Academic Advising
Why your students can't ignore the future: CAREEREALISM for Students
What you can do:
- Encourage your student to work on career planning throughout his or her college career.
- Resist the temptation to steer your student toward a major simply because it fits your interests. Students are more likely to be successful in school and in their careers if they're doing what they enjoy.
- Encourage your student to visit the Career Services.
- Support internship and volunteer opportunities. Employers are interested not just in a person's college degree, but also in what s/he has learned and done. While internships and volunteer positions may not pay well, their long-term value is worthwhile.
Information is excerpted from The Parent's Crash Course in Career Planning, by Marcia B. Harris and Sharon L. Jones (Oct 2007).
Partner with us!
Career Services welcomes participation by parents of our students. There are a variety of ways that you can assist students through our office.
College Central Mentoring Network: Become a part of our alumni and friends of UP Mentoring Network and assist students interested in your occupation, industry, or employer. Below is a help sheet for becoming a mentor: Mentoring Network Help Sheet
Post a position on College Central: We know you believe in the benefit of a UP education! Post a job or internship for a talented upcoming or recent UP graduate on our website. Below is a help sheet for posting a position: College Central Posting a Position Help Sheet