Career Center: Career Information for Parents
The Career Center is committed to keeping you informed about the services and resources available to your students, about the current job market, and about ways that you can assist the Career Center in our shared goals. You are an important part of your child's career planning; your support is extremely important during the career exploration and the internship and job search process.
Included below are some resources provided by the National Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE)
Below are some of our partners in supporting students through the career development journey.
- Shepard Academic Resource Center
- University of Portland Health Center
- University of Portland Academic Advising
Why your students can't ignore the future: CAREEREALISM for Students
What you can do:
- Encourage your student to work on career planning throughout his or her college career.
- Resist the temptation to steer your student toward a major simply because it fits your interests. Students are more likely to be successful in school and in their careers if they're doing what they enjoy.
- Encourage your student to visit the Career Center.
- Support internship and volunteer opportunities. Employers are interested not just in a person's college degree, but also in what s/he has learned and done. While internships and volunteer positions may not pay well, their long-term value is worthwhile.
Information is excerpted from The Parent's Crash Course in Career Planning, by Marcia B. Harris and Sharon L. Jones (Oct 2007).
Partner with us!
The Career Center welcomes participation by parents of our students. There are a variety of ways that you can assist students through our office. If you are interested in hiring an intern, posting a job, or talking to UP students and alumni about your career path, contact Amy Cavanaugh, Director, at email@example.com.