Career Services: Steps to obtaining an internship
Start early! Securing an internship is similar to searching for a job in that it can take at minimum 3 to 6 months to find a worthwhile internship.
- Attend an Intro to Internship workshop in Career Services (lower level, Orrico Hall). These workshops, apart of our Career Focus Thursdays series, start at 4:15pm. Intro to Internship will outline the benefits of completing an internship, the steps to landing a great internship and will address your specific questions. See the Career Services Event Calendar for dates and times.
- Determine if you want to seek out academic credit for the internship and if so, discuss your professional goals with your Faculty Advisor to help develop a few general learning objectives for the internship.
- Schedule an appointment with an Internship Coordinator in Career Services to help tailor your search to your specific interests.
- Look for internship opportunities by consulting with your Faculty Advisor and an Internship Coordinator in Career Services as well as conducting informational interviews with professionals in your career area of interest.
- Register on and search UP’s College Central Network regularly.
- Can’t seem to find the right opportunity? Schedule an appointment with an Internship Coordinator for advice in crafting your own internship proposal.
- Complete and submit application materials including resumes, cover letters and any additional requirements. For help tailoring your materials, stop by Career Services during drop in hours!
- Prepare for interviews by completing a mock interview in Career Services.
- Interview with interested organizations and secure offers.
- If completing the internship for academic credit, make sure that you know the requirements to enroll in the course (forms required, learning agreements, evaluation periods) prior to accepting the position. See the Academic Credit Internship section for help.
Work hard, learn a lot and enjoy the experience!