Career Services: Steps to obtaining an internship
Start early! Securing an internship is similar to searching for a job in that it can take at minimum 3 to 6 months to find a worthwhile internship.
- Schedule an appointment with a staff member in Career Services to help tailor your search to your specific interests.
- Determine if you want to seek out academic credit for the internship and if so, discuss your professional goals with your Faculty Advisor to help develop a few general learning objectives for the internship.
- If you are seeking an internship for credit and you are a student in the College of Arts & Sciences, contact Elizabeth Ostapeck at email@example.com.
- Register on and search UP’s College Central Network regularly.
- Can’t seem to find the right opportunity? Schedule an appointment in Career Servicesfor advice in crafting your own internship proposal.
- Complete and submit application materials including resumes, cover letters and any additional requirements. For help tailoring your materials, stop by Career Services during Express Advising Hours!
- Prepare for interviews by completing a mock interview in Career Services.
- Interview with interested organizations and secure offers.
- If completing the internship for academic credit, make sure that you know the requirements to enroll in the course (forms required, learning agreements, evaluation periods) prior to accepting the position. See the Academic Credit Internship section for help.
Work hard, learn a lot and enjoy the experience!