University of Portland

Gerard J. Olinger CSC

Gerard J. Olinger CSC

Background Narrative

Rev. Gerard J. Olinger, C.S.C., serves as the University of Portland’s Vice President for Student Affairs and Concurrent Assistant Professor of Political Science in the University’s College of Arts and Sciences. He arrived at the University in 2009 and served in Residence Life and Campus Ministry before being appointed Executive Assistant to the President in 2010. In that position, he directed the University’s legal affairs, facilitated strategic planning, and was liaison to the University’s Board of Regents. Fr. Olinger was named Vice President for Student Affairs in January 2012. In that position, he is responsible for approximately 4,000 students and oversees a staff of more than 80 people in the Offices of Residence Life, Public Safety, Student Activities, Career Services, Campus Ministry, and International Student Services, as well as the University’s Health Center and Moreau Center for Service and Leadership. A native of Springfield, Pennsylvania, Fr. Olinger graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in history and government from the University of Notre Dame. He earned two post-graduate degrees from Notre Dame: a juris doctor cum laude in 2004 and a master of divinity degree in 2009. While in law school he served as Executive Notes Editor for the Journal of Legislation and was a member of the Student Bar Association. He was ordained a priest in the Congregation of Holy Cross in 2010. Fr. Olinger ministers as the pastoral resident of Schoenfeldt Hall. He also serves on the Board of Trustees for the University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame, Indiana; the Board of Directors for King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania; the Board of Directors for the Association for Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities (ASACCU); and the Board of Trustees for De La Salle North Catholic High School in Portland, Oregon. He is a member of the state bar in Indiana and Pennsylvania.

Professional Affiliations

To correct faculty name, title, or department, please contact the Office of the Provost. To correct staff name, title, or department, please contact the Office of Human Resources. Otherwise, for all other information, contact your office administrative assistant. Student information is not available in the public University directory. Note: information is refreshed once a day so changes may not be visible immediately.