- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Majors & Minors
- Shepard Academic Resource Center
- Studies Abroad
- STEM Center
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- University Core
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Financial Aid
- Waldschmidt 120, MSC 166
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- 503-943-7311 or 800-227-4568
- fax: 503-943-7508
- Financial Aid Home
- Cost of Attendance
- Net Price Calculator
- Types of Aid
- Applying for Aid
- Loan Application Procedures
- Dates and Deadlines
- Student Employment
- Scholarship Links
- Veterans Benefits
Financial Aid: Student Employment
To be eligible to work, a student must be admitted to a University of Portland degree program and registered at least half-time (6 credit hours for undergraduates; 5 credit hours for graduates) during the current semester. The only exception to the enrollment requirement is during the summer, in which case the student must be pre-registered for at least half-time for the following fall semester.
- Students may work up to 20 hours per week (Monday through Sunday) between all student jobs when classes are in session.
- Students may work up to 40 hours per week (Monday through Sunday) between all jobs when classes are not in session. Students may not work over time (over 40 hours per week). Students who violate the 40 hour per week regulation will immediately lose their student employment privileges.
- Students may work up to 8 hours per day, between all student jobs, and must take at least a 30 minute unpaid lunch break when working 6 or more consecutive hours in one day.
- Students may hold up to 3 open student employment positions on campus at any one time.
- Students may earn up to $8,000 during the fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) through the student employment program whether paid through Federal Work-Study, Student Employment Institutional Funds and/or Research Grants.
- Students must log all hours worked using the online timesheet and submit timesheets by the deadlines posted.
Student employment may be terminated if the student violates Student Employment Program policies or at the supervisor's discretion if job duties are not being fulfilled. Please review job expectations with supervisor prior to starting employment.
The majority of students working at the University of Portland are paid an hourly wage. They record all hours worked online through Paperless Payroll and receive a paycheck bi-monthly for the hours they have submitted. To receive a paycheck on time, hourly-wage student employees must:
- Present identification to complete the Federal Form I-9 (new student employees only);
- Complete an IRS statement of withholding, or Form W-4 (new student employees only);
- Submit a completed Student Employment Referral Form for each job before working; and
- Submit a Timesheet through Paperless Payroll by Payroll deadlines (see Student Payroll Processing Schedule), accessible through Pilots Self-Serve.
- The position must benefit the student and provide valuable experience.
- The position must not displace a regular employee.
- The position must be for the benefit of the student.
- Payments must not be contingent upon quality or quantity of participation.
- Federal I-9 Form (new student employees only);
- IRS statement of withholding W-4 Form (new student employees only); and
- A completed Student Participation Stipend Form.
All required hiring paperwork must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid before a student begins working and timesheets must be submitted online for approval through Paperless Payroll. Paperwork and timesheets not submitted by the deadlines above will be processed for the next pay period.
Hourly employees may be rehired without a new Referral Form, for the summer or next academic year, if their supervisor includes them on the annual Rehire Roster submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. Any students not rehired through the Rehire Roster will have to submit a new Referral Form to the Office of Financial Aid before they can begin working.
Student Participation Stipends
Some on-campus positions are paid as a stipend for a specific period of time, such as a year, a semester or a number of months. The State of Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries states, “a stipend is generally considered a modest amount provided to students or volunteers to help defray the cost of expenses. Stipends are not compensation for services rendered and should be distinguishable from compensation in that they may not be tied to the quality or quantity of work performed.” These positions are related to participation in specific projects or programs that provide valuable experience to students and must fit the following Student Participation Stipend Guidelines:
Students employed in the Student Stipend Participation program receive a set payment every two weeks. Hours are not tracked and timesheets are not submitted for these payments. Please keep in mind time spent participating in a stipend position counts towards daily and weekly Student Employment allowable hours (8 hours a day and 20 hours a week between all positions).
To receive payments on time, the following hiring paperwork is required before the student begins participating:
The supervisor must clearly identify the total amount of the stipend and the number of months for which the student should be paid. The total amount will be divided into equal bi-monthly payments for the period specified. Any stipend student continuing in a stipend position beyond the end date indicated on the original Student Participation Stipend Form must complete and submit a new Student Participation Stipend Form to the Office of Financial Aid with the new stipend time frame.
If a Department or Supervisor wishes to have stipend participants they must submit a program description for review and approval to the Student Employment Coordinator in the Office of Financial Aid before any student(s) may participate.
School Code - 003224
Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Monday - Friday, 9am-4pm.
Please call ahead to schedule.
Please send all
to the Office of Financial Aid,
please email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
fax to 503-943-7508.