Financial Aid: Stafford Loan (Subsidized/Unsubsidized) Application Procedures
The University of Portland is now participating in the Direct Lending program. To apply for your loans, complete all steps below.
- Accept your loans by either signing and returning your award letter (first-time students) or accepting your award via the Self Serve Banner (returning students).
- Complete Section A of the 13-14 Direct Loan Confirmation Form
- Print, sign, and return the form to the Office of Financial Aid.
- First time borrowers only - Access Direct Student Loans to complete
- Entrance Counseling
- Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Note - You will need your FAFSA PIN to sign the MPN electronically.
Once all steps have been completed, the Office of Financial Aid will process your loans. As long as your paperwork is complete by the deadlines below, your loans will disburse 7 days prior to the start of each semester.
For details about Stafford Loan program at the undergraduate and graduate level, please refer to Undergraduate Stafford Loans and Graduate Stafford Loans.
Priority Loan Application Deadlines
- Summer, 2013 - April 22, 2013
- Fall, 2013 - July 1, 2013
- Spring, 2014 - December 1, 2013
Any loan requests submitted after these deadlines are not guaranteed to disburse by the first day of class.Paperwork submitted after the deadline may take 2 or more weeks to process.
Final Loan Application/Change Deadlines
Loan applications and/or changes must be submitted by the deadlines posted below in order to be processed for that term.
- Spring, 2013 - April 15, 2013
- Summer, 2013 - Seven business days before your last scheduled summer class
- Fall, 2013 - December 1, 2013
- Spring, 2014 - April 15, 2014
Applications and/or changes submitted after these deadlines may not be processed.
Back to Apply for Loans.