- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Majors & Minors
- Shepard Academic Resource Center
- Studies Abroad
- STEM Center
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- University Core
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Health Center
- Orrico Hall Upper Level, MSC 147
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
Health Center: Off-Campus Referrals
In an effort to accommodate the needs of all students seeking counseling at the University Health Center, most therapy is short-term. Brief therapy is quite effective with college students, especially when problems are dealt with at an early stage. It is not unusual for significant change to occur in a few sessions, even for problems that seem complicated. In cases where long-term therapy is indicated, the Health Center’s professional staff will assist the student with a referral to an off-campus resource.
Some Helpful Hints When Looking for a Therapist
Trying to locate a therapist can be a daunting undertaking. However, there are some things you can do to help with this process. When making the initial call to a therapist, first try to assess if you feel comfortable talking with this individual. Sometimes people locate a therapist whom they feel is a good match right away. However, it is not uncommon to take some time to locate the “right” professional. Give yourself time to find a good match. Don’t feel you need to continue working with a therapist just because you talked over the phone or met for an initial session.
Below is a listing of some questions you might consider asking a potential therapist.
- What are your training, education, and experience in working with young adults?
- What is your approach?
- What are your specialty areas?
- What can I expect to happen during my sessions?
- How long will counseling take?
- What is the cost of your services? Can my insurance be billed? Is there a sliding fee?
- What are your office hours?
- Where is your office located?
- Is an appointment available within a week?