- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Student Accounts
- Waldschmidt 130, MSC 156
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- Student Accounts Home
- Tuition & Fees
- Student Records Release
- Confirmation of Enrollment
- Tax Information
- Financial Literacy
- Contact Us
Student Accounts: Health Insurance
The University believes that a solid health plan is vital to the well being of our students. As such, all full-time undergraduate students are required to carry medical insurance and are automatically enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan. Students with comparable existing health insurance coverage may complete an on-line Health Insurance Waiver at Aetna Student Health website. The waiver form for 2013-2014 will be available in mid-July. Please have your health insurance ID card available. If you are an incoming student for spring 2014 semester, the form will be available online in mid-December. The waiver can be submitted by following these steps:
- Go to: Aetna Student Health website
- Type UPortland in the purple box at the top right of Aetna's website and then select "University of Portland"
- Select "Enroll/Waive: Student Health Insurance Plan" from the blue Enroll/Waive box on the right side of the page
- Select "Undergraduate" as your program of study in the Student Information drop down menu
- Enter the 9 digit Student ID number and student's date of birth
- Select "Get Started"
- Select "Waive" from the box labeled “13/14 Waive the Student Health Insurance Plan"
- Select continue
- Read the disclosure, and if you agree with the terms, check the box under the Waiver Policy Terms
- Select continue
- Enter requested insurance plan information
- Read the Terms and Conditions, and if you agree, check the electronic signature box
- Select continue
- If all information is correct select submit
- Please print the waiver confirmation for your records once the waiver process is complete
The deadline to complete the waiver for fall 2013 is 5:00 p.m. PDT August 30, 2013.
The deadline to complete the waiver for spring 2014 is 5:00 p.m. PST January 17, 2014.
Unless you complete the online waiver before the deadline, you will be required to pay the $900.00 premium for the semester; no exceptions will be granted. Within 2 business days of submission of the waiver, the insurance charge will be offset by a waiver credit. The waiver must be completed every fall, and applies to both fall and spring semesters. Students who participate in the University group insurance plan fall semester but do not need coverage for the spring semester must come into the Student Accounts office with proof of current insurance to fill out a waiver form. Students new to the University and students who were not enrolled on campus for the fall semester (i.e. Studies Abroad, IES, students on a leave of absence, etc.) must go online and follow the instructions above to waive the spring insurance.
Information about the insurance offered through the University of Portland can be foundat 2013-2014 Aetna Health Insurance Highlight Sheet. Additional policy information can be found at the Aetna Student Health website.
Part-time undergraduate and all graduate students are not required to participate in the University group insurance plan and are not automatically enrolled. Part-time undergraduate students and graduate students who would like to participate in the University group insurance plan should contact Student Accounts for more information.
Affordable Care Act (ACA) FAQ
back to top