- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Center for Entrepreneurship
- Garaventa Center
- Academic Advising
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Honors Program
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Student Accounts
- Waldschmidt 130, MSC 156
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- Student Accounts Home
- Tuition & Fees
- Student Records Release
- Confirmation of Enrollment
- Tax Information
- Financial Literacy
- Contact Us
Student Accounts: Health Insurance
The University believes that a solid health plan is vital to the well being of our students. As such, all full-time undergraduate students are required to carry medical insurance and are automatically enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan. Students with comparable existing health insurance coverage may complete an on-line Health Insurance Waiver at Aetna Student Health website. The waiver form for 2013-2014 will be available in mid-July. Please have your health insurance ID card available. If you are an incoming student for spring 2014 semester, the form will be available online on or after December 2, 2013. The waiver can be submitted by following these steps:
- Go to: Aetna Student Health website
- Type UPortland in the purple box at the top right of Aetna's website and then select "University of Portland"
- Select "Medical Plan: Enroll/Waive" from the orange box on the right side of the page
- Select "Waive: Student Health Insurance Plan" from the bottom of the box labeled “Undergraduate Students and Dependents” at the center of the page
- Select continue
- Start the Waiver process by checking the box under the Policy Terms Agreement and entering the student's UP ID# and date of birth, and selecting continue
- Please print the waiver confirmation for your records once the waiver process is complete
The last day to complete this waiver for fall 2013 is August 30, 2013.
The last day to complete this waiver for spring 2014 is January 17, 2014.
Unless you complete the online waiver before the deadline, you will be required to pay the $900.00 premium for the semester; no exceptions will be granted.
Within 2 business days of submission of the waiver, the insurance charge will be offset by a waiver credit.
The waiver must be completed every fall, and applies to both fall and spring semesters. Students who participate in the University group insurance plan fall semester but do not need coverage for the spring semester must come into the Student Accounts office with proof of current insurance to fill out a waiver form. Students new to the University and students who were not enrolled on campus for the fall semester (i.e. Studies Abroad, IES, students on a leave of absence, etc.) must go online and follow the instructions above to waive the spring insurance.
Information about the insurance offered through the University of Portland can be found at 2013-2014 Aetna Health Insurance Highlight Sheet. Additional policy information can be found at the Aetna Student Health website .
Part-time undergraduate and all graduate students are not required to participate in the University group insurance plan and are not automatically enrolled. Part-time undergraduate students and graduate students who would like to participate in the University group insurance plan should contact Student Accounts for more information.
back to top