Student Accounts: 1098-T Form
The IRS Form 1098-T will be mailed to students by January 31st. This form will provide students with the following information:
- A summarization of the total amount of qualified tuition
- Summarization the total amount of scholarships and grants received
- Indication if the student attended at least half-time during the calendar year
- Indication if the student was a graduate student
- Indication if some of the qualified tuition, scholarships and grants were adjusted from the previous reporting year
To access your 1098-T form online from your Self Serve account:
- Log into your slink: Self Serve Account (must log into PilotsUP).
- Select Student
- Select Student Records
- Select Tax Information
You can also request a copy of your 1098-T form at (866) 428-1098. The University of Portland school code is S8.
The IRS provides the option for schools to report either "Payments received" in Box 1, or "Amounts billed" in Box 2, but not both . Once an institution has selected one of these options, they cannot change reporting methods between calendar years without IRS permission. The University of Portland reports qualified tuition and related expenses that were billed during the tax year (Box 2) and scholarships and grants (Box 5), therefore, Box 1 – Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses, will be blank. Since spring charges are billed in December, the qualified expense associated with that semester will appear in box 2 of the prior year’s 1098-T.
A 1098-T form will not be generated for non-resident alien students.
For information and assistance in the calculation of any applicable education tax credit or in the preparation of your income tax return, we recommend you contact a tax preparer, refer to IRS Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Higher Education
(Tax Benefits for Higher Education) or contact the IRS at (800) 829-1040.
back to top