- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Web & Enterprise Services
- Buckley Center 17, MSC 194
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
Web & Enterprise Services: faculty.up.edu Guidelines
Faculty.up.edu is a web domain created, supported, and maintained by the Office of Web & Enterprise Services to serve as a physical location for professional websites for faculty. It differs from PilotsUP, the online directory, Moodle, Sherpa, and teaching.up.edu in that:
- Its sole purpose is to provide a location for faculty to freely demonstrate and share their scholarship with the University and professional peers.
- It does not support resources that integrate with academic information stored in Banner or could be communicated directly to students using Moodle or stored using web foldering in combination with the SAN.
- The information does not enhance a particular department’s, program’s, or office’s larger web presence or directly contribute to recruiting of students or faculty.
- It does not support web applications unless these specifically relate to the professional activities of the faculty scholar.
Additional web resources other than faculty.up.edu are available to University web creators. These are PilotsUP, Sherpa, Moodle, the online directory, and supported web application servers. To determine if material belongs within these areas, consider the following:
- Is the information applicable at a department, school, or office level? In other words, would publishing the material in a visible location enhance the mission or message of the group? If so, this information should move to a PilotsUP community or Sherpa.
- Is material related to a particular course that simply requires web display/accessibility and/or does not require active use of webserver resources to create it? Does the course information benefit from being tied to Banner (student emails, grades, etc.)? If so, this information should move to the structured and supported environment of Moodle.
- Would faculty prefer not to accept the responsibility and work of creating and maintaining a personal website? If so, the online directory's People pages create a significant web presence for each faculty at the University. The directory information is maintained in Banner and can be updated and modified by office administrative assistants. Please learn more about the Online Directory.
- Does the application support a wide University audience and will it be utilized over the long-term? If so, then the application should be supported on a University application server.
For more information, please review the solutions decision flowchart.
Using faculty.up.edu is a privilege rather than a right. Because it is a shared resource, certain guidelines apply.
- Faculty.up.edu is not a storage server. All content, files, images, etc. on it are required for web access and display. Files that have served this purpose but have become outdated should be removed in a timely manner and archived in the University’s electronic storage locations.
- Faculty.up.edu is not a resource for classroom teaching. All information should be related to the purpose of demonstrating a faculty's personal scholarship and professional academic contributions.
- Faculty.up.edu is not intended for organizational web site display. Clubs, honor societies, professional organizations affiliated with University personnel and other approved organization web sites/pages may render their information on a PilotsUP community or orgs.up.edu.
- The University’s Acceptable Use policy applies to all uses of the server and domain.
To gain access to a folder on faculty.up.edu, faculty should do the following:
Submit a folder request to the Help Desk that includes:
- The purpose of the material in the folder.
- Any special access considerations for the folder.
- The Help Desk will review the material and consult with web services if necessary. We may return to the requester for more information.
- If the material is in keeping with the objectives of the domain, a folder will be created and permissions to the folder granted. If not, web services will work with the requester to find a more appropriate web location for the material.
All folders on faculty.up.edu are named after the faculty member using that person's network alias. For example, Dr. Smith, whose email was email@example.com, would have a folder url: