Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

AP, IB and Running Start

There are a number of ways a student can transfer credit to University of Portland.

Advanced Placement (AP): We will grant credits if you receive a 4 or 5 on the AP exam.  Depending on your score and your intended major, that awarded credit may waive a class, put you into the next course level or count towards graduation credits.

International Baccalaureate (IB): We award credits for each individual class if you receive a 5, 6 or 7 on a Higher Level test. 

College-Level Courses: Search the Transfer Equivalency System (TES) to see how credits will transfer in to UP from specific courses you have completed at another college (e.g. through Running Start or concurrent enrollment while enrolled in high school). Please be aware that the equivalencies in TES are determined as we receive students' transcripts; some institutions may only have a few courses listed. The database is not a complete list of all the courses that may be accepted for credit at University of Portland.

These guides and course equivalencies are intended to be used as preparation tools for prospective applicants. These tools are not a substitute for an official evaluation of credits and do not constitute a guarantee of transfer credit award. The information posted here and in the TES database are subject to change at any time. 

Though you may enter University of Portland with earned college credit, use the First-Time Freshman Application unless you have already obtained a high school diploma or GED prior to submitting an application.


Office of Admissions is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.