Admitted Student FAQs

How will Summer and/or Fall course schedules be impacted by COVID-19?

  • In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and following guidelines and policies enacted by the Oregon Health Authority and governor, Summer session I and II courses will be offered online. Most Fall 2020 courses will be offered in-person and online simultaneously. Please watch the message from UP President, Rev. Mark L. Poorman, C.S.C. for more information about the plan to return to campus.
  • The most up-to-date announcements will be shared on the Back to the Bluff website.
  • Additional COVID-19 and Admissions FAQs from the Office of Admissions.

What should international students expect for Orientation?

  • International Student Orientation is scheduled for August 18-20. We hope to meet in-person but may need to offer an online-only program if required by local government.
  • International Student Orientation is required for any F-1 or J-1 student new to University of Portland. Students in other visa statuses, or with dual US citizenship/residency are welcome to join us, but not required.
  • General New Student Orientation website.

How will I receive my I-20 or DS-2019 (immigration documents)?

  • For students planning to attend UP as an F-1 degree-seeking international student, we need to collect some documents before we can issue you the I-20 immigration document. Please visit our Admitted Student page for more information.
  • Short-term J-1 Exchange students will need to provide proof of financial support and a copy of their passport before we can issue the DS-2019. Please see the checklist of required financial support documents for more information.
  • For students residing INSIDE US, documents will be sent by US Postal Service. For students residing OUTSIDE the US, we will ship documents by UPS express courier and you will receive an email with tracking number when the package ships.
  • If you need to correct submitted information or change your delivery address, please contact
  • Please note that at this time most University staff are working from home (many while caring for families) and our processes are happening slower than usual. Thank you for your patience.

What should I know in regards to visa applications?

  • As of March 20, 2020 the US Department of State suspended all routine visa services. Services and appointment availability will resume on a country by country basis. Please contact the US Embassy/Consulate nearest to you to learn about reopening plans. Advance appointment booking or requests for expedited visa appointments may be available at some consulates. F-1 Students and J-1 Exchange Visitors within X days of their program start dates qualify for expedited appointments (each embassy/consulate sets the number of days for expedited appointments; in most countries it's 60 days prior to the program start date).
  • Listing of US Embassy/Consulate information by country.
  • Students with a valid F-1 or J-1 visas already in their passport (even if another school is named) may use that visa to enter the US with their UP I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Canadian passport holders will not need to apply for a US visa. Canadian students may enter the US with their passport and I-20.
  • Review our tips to help prepare for the US visa interview.

What if I need to postpone my start date at University of Portland?

  • Students unable to arrive on-campus due to delayed visa issuance will be allowed to attend classes virtually for the fall 2020 semester.
  • For admitted undergraduate students that wish to postpone their start date, we offer the option to defer your enrollment to the Spring 2021 or Fall 2021 semester. Please visit the Deferring Enrollment page to learn more about this process.
  • For admitted graduate students that wish to postpone their start date please email the Graduate School at

What if I already attend a school in the United States?

  • Any student currently attending a school (high school, college, or university) in F-1 status will need to contact their current advisor to request a SEVIS record transfer to UP. Please choose a release date AFTER your current school finishes your final term.
  • SEVIS Transfer information page.

What will I need to travel to University of Portland?

  • In order to enter the United States, you will need to present your UP I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 Exchange students), an F-1 or J-1 visa with dates valid for your entry, and a valid passport. Visit our information page to learn more about travel documents.
  • Please review the local government guidance in Oregon and any other US State prior to travel. Certain travel, recreation, and businesses are restricted.

Web resources with information about flight and travel restrictions:

Regarding entry to the United States:

Regarding global travel restrictions:

My family has been financially impacted by COVID-19, are additional funds available?

  • If your family has been impacted financially, please send a brief description of how the pandemic has impacted your ability to afford university. We will connect you with Financial Aid and will send you additional outside scholarship resources.

How can I stay connected to UP and International Student Services?