Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Checklist of Tasks

Make sure to complete these important tasks before your arrival or within your first few days on campus! Services will be open on Friday, January 12th during business hours but not during the rest of Orientation weekend.

Registration & Drop/Add

Registration for classes or making changes in your schedule (“drop/add”) takes place in the main office of your college or school. If this is necessary, please visit:

  • Pamplin School of Business: Franz 425
  • School of Education: Franz 427
  • Shiley School of Engineering: Shiley 227
  • School of Nursing: Buckley Center 315
  • College of Arts and Sciences: Buckley Center 217

Update Permanent and/or Local Address 

Students must have a permanent or home address on file at the Registrar’s Office. If this address has changed recently (especially since your admissions application), visit the Registrar’s Office on the first floor of Waldschmidt Hall to update your records. Off-campus students must have their current local address on file. Please notify the Registrar with the address and phone number of your location here in Portland by the first day of classes. On-campus addresses are automatically updated. You can also use SelfServe under the “Personal Information” tab to update addresses if need be. If SelfServe does not let you update addresses, send an email to the Registrar’s office ( and they will be able to update it for you.

Financial Aid Process

If you are planning on receiving financial aid, you should check in with the Office of Financial Aid or view the Financial Aid section of Pilots Self-Serve to make sure that all paperwork and requirements are complete.  If you need immediate assistance, or have questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 503-943-7311 or 800-227-4568 or by e-mail at

Financial Aid Loan Process 

If you are planning on utilizing your Federal Direct Student Loans, you must complete loan entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note. To begin the process, please first accept your financial aid award. Then proceed to where the entrance counseling and MPN can be completed. To complete the Federal Direct PLUS loan a Master Promissory Note and application will be required. These items can be completed at the same website. If you need immediate assistance, or have questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 503-943-7311 or 800-227-4568 or by e-mail at

Payments, Loans, & Clearing Your Account 

If you have not yet paid tuition, room, board and other necessary fees, go to the Office of Student Accounts on the first floor of Waldschmidt Hall. Spring semester tuition is due on Friday, January 5th, 2018, and late fees will be applied to all accounts with an outstanding balance (see enrollment packet for more information). You may have to establish a payment plan in order to clear your account.  The University of Portland has partnered with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) to offer e-billing and an on-line payment option for students. If you would like more information, please contact Student Accounts at 503-943-7347 or view the department’s website at

Health Insurance Program 

The University's health insurance program is required of all full-time undergraduate students. However, if you already have health insurance coverage, you may waive the University's insurance charge by completing the Waiver of Student Fees at After completing the form, you will receive an email notification that the waiver was completed and accepted.  Please complete this process by January 19, 2018.

Student ID Card 

All students must have an ID picture taken for their University identification card. When validated, your ID card serves as your main source of ID on campus. It should be carried at all times, and it must be shown to any University official or public safety officer upon request. The ID card also serves a wide variety of other purposes:

  • Entry into residence halls for on-campus students
  • Bon Appétit meal plan use
  • Tickets and verification of attendance at athletic and student events
  • Library cards; can be used for on-campus and online resources
  • Access to the recreational facilities in the Beauchamp Center
  • Access to computer labs

To have your picture taken for your ID card, you must have your class schedule, invoice, OR payment receipt with you. The public safety department is located in Haggerty Hall 100, and is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.

NOTE: Lost or stolen cards must be reported to Public Safety. Additionally, if you are on a meal plan or have dining dollars on your card, report to the Bon Appétit office in The Commons immediately so they can issue you a temporary meal pass.

Meal Plan

Spring semester meal plans will be activated on Saturday, January 13, 2018.  You may use your dining points at any Bon Appétit venue on campus.  To learn more about the various venues, including hours of operation, log on to Bon Appetite’s Web site at  Meal plans and Munch Money, and points balances are available to non-resident students.

Resident students select their meal plan when they sign a housing contract.  Housing contracts are available at the Office of Residence Life in Tyson 123. Their office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.  Off-campus students wishing to purchase meal points should visit the Bon Appétit office in The Commons between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays.

Parking Permits

Any vehicle parked on campus from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. when classes are being held must have a parking permit. Permits may be purchased at Public Safety in 100 Haggerty Hall. A valid driver’s license, vehicle registration or title, and proof of insurance must be shown when you obtain your parking permit.

All students must register cars they bring to school, whether parking on or off campus. Freshman resident students may not bring a car to school without permission from the Office of Public Safety, nor may they park on city streets near the University. The University also has other restrictions concerning parking in the neighborhood. For more detailed information, get a copy of the parking and traffic regulations from Public Safety or at the Information Center located in the Pilot House. An electronic copy can also be found on the Office of Public Safety website by going to the following link

Computer Accounts

You should have already received your letter from the Office of Admissions with instructions on how to activate your free University computer account, set your password, and access PilotsUP, the campus portal. A University network account is required for students to use the computer labs and your professors and others will communicate via your University email account. To sign up for your computer account after Orientation weekend, you may visit the Help Desk in Franz 112 on weekdays during office hours.


Be sure to purchase your textbooks before you attend class.  Many faculty members will assign reading during your first class.  You can pre-order your textbooks at or purchase your textbooks and supplies at the University Bookstore in the Pilot House.  The hours for the bookstore during orientation and the first week of school are listed below.     

Tuesday-Friday, January 2nd -5th - 9 am to 4 pm

Saturday-Sunday, January 6th – 7th - closed

Monday, January 8th thru Friday, January 12th - 9 am to 4 pm

Saturday, January 13th - 11 am to 5:00 pm

Sunday January 14th 11-6pm

8:30 am to 7:00 pm the first week of classes

FERPA and the Student Consent Disclosure Form

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records. This means that schools generally must have written permission from students for parents to inspect or review academic records or for faculty and administrators to discuss a student's progress with parents. At the University, we believe a student's success in education begins by establishing a partnership between the student, his or her parents, and the University. This is a relationship where communication can be honest and unhindered.

Students can use the Parent Proxy application to authorize a parent or other individual (Proxy) to view certain portions of their UP Self Service student information. Students will have the option of sharing information such as student account invoices, tax information, payment options, financial aid award and summary information, unofficial transcripts, class schedules, and contact information with their designated Proxy(s). The Parent Proxy application is available on-line through UP Self Serve.