Change or Cancel Housing Contract

Requesting a Housing Change

Below are forms that can be used to request a change to the terms of your housing contract or to your housing assignment. 

  • Room Change Request Form:  To notify us that you will be changing the room or hall to which you are assigned. This requires approval by your Hall Director and, when applicable, approval of the Hall Director whose hall you will be moving to. You can log onto eResLife and access the form there to start the process. Reach out to your Hall Director with any questions 
  • Less than Full-Time Student Request Form: To petition to live in on-campus housing when you will no longer be a full-time student. Indicate the number of credit hours you are taking or will be taking when you drop below full-time status (12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students), and include a brief explanation of your reason for dropping below full-time status. This form is found in eResLife, please log in and complete the form
  • Early/Late Arrival Request Form: To request to arrive earlier than the date halls open at the beginning of a semester, or to stay later than the date halls close at the end of a semester. This requires an explanation and, if approved, your student account will be charged $55 per day that you move in early or stay late. Generally, requests are only approved for a single day's early arrival or late stay.

Canceling a Housing Contract

Students may be released from the student housing contract by any one of the following options: (a) withdrawing from school; (b) marriage; (c) graduation; (d) approved study abroad; (e) serious extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control that were not present at the time of housing selection. Please note that finding housing off-campus while still under contract for housing at UP is not a valid option for release from the housing contract. Students who request to be released from their student housing contract must complete the Housing Cancellation Petition. For students seeking release from their contract while remaining enrolled at UP, appropriate documentation must accompany the petition for it to be considered. Students who are released from their contracts during a semester may be eligible for a refund based on the unused portion of the contract. There is a $100 housing contract cancellation fee if the contract cancellation request is approved.

If a student moves out of a residence hall during the school year without an approved contract release or is removed for judicial purposes, housing costs for the year will be charged to their account.