New Students: Changing or Declaring Majors | University of Portland

New Students: Changing or Declaring Majors

First Week of Spring Semester

Prior to the first day of the semester and during the first week of classes, all major changes are processed through admissions. Email admissions from your UP email address to request that your major be changed before this date.

The process for changing your major is the same if you are currently Undeclared and would like to declare a major or if you have declared a major and would like to change to Undeclared.

If you are changing schools (for example, Engineering to Business), keep in mind that your Program Counselor and class schedule will change as well. Once your major is officially changed by admissions, your Program Counselor in your new school will reach out to you regarding your schedule.

After the First Week of Spring Semester

After the first week of the spring semester, you can request a major change online through your Pilots Portal. Visit the Policies and Practices web page on the Academic Advising website for more information about the policies regarding coursework at the University of Portland.

How do I add a second major or add a minor?

If you want to add a second major or add a minor, you will need to wait until the second week of classes. You will be able to make this change through your Pilots Portal.

In the meantime, communicate with your Program Counselor about your other interests, so that they may take that into consideration when building your semester schedule.

What if I did not get into the major that I wanted?

Some majors have admission requirements based on high school grades and/or test scores. In these cases, your major will default to undeclared.


For now, make sure to indicate an interest in majoring in Business to your Program Counselor. It is recommended that if you are interested in Business, you take ECN 120 and MTH 161 during your first semester. Both will count for university core requirements should you ultimately choose a different major.


This year's School of Nursing cohort is at capacity, and internal transfers interested in transferring into the Nursing major must apply with the external transfer applicant pool. If you have questions, please contact the School of Nursing.


If you were not accepted into the School of Engineering upon admission to UP, you may complete a set of pre-requisite courses and apply to transfer into the School of Engineering. Make sure to indicate an interest in Engineering during your phone interview.

School of Engineering Transfer Requirements


Communicate to your Program Counselor what your intended major will be and they will register you for the appropriate courses so that you are still on track to study the major you want. After spring semester grades are posted, you may request a curriculum change to your intended major.