Financial Aid: Applying for Aid
The FAFSA is the only application required to be considered for financial aid at the University of Portland. However, there are several steps in the application process. Not all steps are required by all students but you should review each step and determine which is required for your situation.
- Complete the FAFSA - The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available January 1 for the following academic year. You must submit the FAFSA annually in order to apply for federal, state, and some institutional financial aid. You can prepare to file your FAFSA by completing the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet. This worksheet is simply a guide and is not required. If you need help with the FAFSA please refer to the FAFSA Help section of our website for additional resources.
- Complete the Oregon Scholarship Application (Oregon Residents only) - If you are not an Oregon resident, check with your own state to see if there are scholarships you can apply for and bring with you to the University of Portland.
- Review your Award Letter and the Financial Aid Handbook- Here's what a Sample Award Letter looks like. Yours will be customized to your unique situation. You can also review your award in Self Serve.
- Submit Additional Requirements - Please submit only what is requested of you. If you have questions about what is required, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
- Complete Verification (if selected) - The Office of Financial Aid will inform you of what forms and documents are required. Please submit only what is requested of you.
- Apply for Loans - If you decide you need to use the loans that were offered to you on your award letter, there are several more steps to complete before the funds will be disbursed to your student account. More information is available at Apply for Loans.
- Complete a Special Circumstances Appeal, if applicable - We recognize that the FAFSA may not always portray a clear picture of your financial situation. Although considerations for specific situations are limited, we may be able to give additional consideration for certain situations.
- Apply for Outside Scholarships - Students should apply for outside scholarships each and every year they are at UP. Outside scholarships are a great way to minimize what you have to pay out of pocket or borrow to pay for school. If you need help getting your search started, check out our Step by Step - Applying for Scholarships help sheet or Fastweb 12 Tips for Winning a Scholarship.