Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Rev. George C. Bernard, C.S.C.

Fr. George Bernard, C.S.C., has spent the last 48 years at the University of Portland, where he has served as a Holy Cross priest, professor, and administrator. Although he officially retired in 1987 with the title of associate professor emeritus of theology, he has remained active in assisting local parishes, praying the Divine Office and Rosary, and offering Mass on campus. From an early age, religious life appealed to Fr. Bernard and this interest grew at the University of Notre Dame where he was introduced to the Congregation of Holy Cross through classmates who were also seminarians. In 1943, he professed his first vows, and he was ordained to the priesthood in 1949 at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. After six years of teaching theology at Notre Dame, Fr. Bernard became vice president of student affairs from 1958 to 1961. He then served as president and religious superior of Holy Cross College in Washington, D.C., until that college closed in 1968. In 1969, he arrived on The Bluff, serving as chair of the theology department from 1970 to 1977 and as academic vice president from 1977 until his retirement. Today, Fr. Bernard resides at Holy Cross Court on the University campus.