- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Majors & Minors
- Shepard Academic Resource Center
- Studies Abroad
- STEM Center
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- University Core
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Career Center
- Orrico Hall Lower Level, MSC 143
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- Career Center
- Hire a Pilot
- Contact Us
Career Center: Externship Program Overview
An Externship or job shadow experience is a one day opportunity for students to gain an understanding of a business, industry, and job. Students have an opportunity to explore careers and gain insight into a specific career or industry of interest by shadowing a career volunteer in the workplace. Externships are short-term opportunities with long-term benefits.
An Externship provides an opportunity to:
- Experience the workplace
- Explore careers and industries
- Learn about professional’s career paths
- Learn how you can apply your major in the workplace after graduation
- Determine if positions and organizations are the right fit
- Create connections and build your professional network
- Obtain limited hands-on experience
Externship Student Application Procedures
All sophomore engineering students interested in participating in the Externship program must complete the Externship application form and submit their resume and a 500 word essay answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in doing an Externship?
- What do you hope to gain from the experience?
- How do you plan to prepare for and make the most of your Externship?
- What questions might you ask your host?
- What activities would be of benefit to you during the Externship (company tour, meeting with HR, meeting other engineers, etc.)?
There are two steps to the application. 1. Complete the Externship Application 2. Submit your essay and resume via email to the Career Center at email@example.com with subject line “Externship Application” by the December deadline (TBD). Both steps must be completed in order to have a complete application. Your resume will be forwarded to your host if you are matched. In some cases, an interview will be necessary during the matching process. The Career Center will contact you for an interview if necessary. Please note that applying for the Externship means that you are making a commitment to this experience. Once you receive a match, your participation is mandatory. You will be required to attend one of the orientation sessions.