- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Career Services
- Orrico Hall Lower Level, MSC 143
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- Career Services
- Hire a Pilot
- Contact Us
Career Services: Steps to obtaining an internship
1. Start early! Securing an internship is similar to searching for a job in that it can take at minimum 3 to 6 months to find a worthwhile internship.
2. Attend an Intro to Internship – First Thursday session in Career Services (lower level, Orrico Hall). These 30 minute workshops offered every first Thursday (starting in October) from 4:00pm – 5:00pm outline the benefits of completing and internship, the steps to landing a great internship and can address your specific questions. See the Career Services Event Calendar for dates and times.
3. Determine if you want to seek out academic credit for the internship and if so, discuss your professional goals with your Faculty Advisor to help develop a few general learning objectives for the internship.
4. Schedule an appointment with an Internship Coordinator in Career Services to help tailor your search to your specific interests.
5. Look for internship opportunities by consulting with your Faculty Advisor and an Internship Coordinator in Career Services as well as conducting informational interviews with professionals in your career area of interest.
6. Register on and search UP’s College Central Network regularly.
7. Can’t seem to find the right opportunity? Schedule an appointment with an Internship Coordinator for advice in crafting your own internship proposal.
8. Complete and submit application materials including resumes, cover letters and any additional requirements. For help tailoring your materials, stop by Career Services during drop in hours!
9. Prepare for interviews by completing a mock interview with Career Services.
10. Interview with interested organizations and secure offers.
11. If completing the internship for academic credit, make sure that you know the requirements to enroll in the course (forms required, learning agreements, evaluation periods) prior to accepting the position. See the Academic Credit Internship section for help.
12. Work hard, learn a lot and enjoy the experience!