Physical Plant FAQs

What should I do if I have a maintenance issue?

For students living in residence halls, please submit your maintenance requests online through iServiceDeskFor student mailbox key requests, please speak to your assistant hall director as outlined by the Office of Residence Life.

For staff and faculty with a maintenance request on campus, please go to our online system iServiceDesk and submit the request. 

For those living in University-owned rental units, please email your request to physicalplant@up.edu.

For emergency maintenance issues please call:

  • Physical Plant during business hours - 503.943.7306
  • Campus Safety anytime - 503.943.7161

What is a maintenance emergency and how long do I have to wait for it to be fixed?

An emergency maintenance issue is a situation that cannot wait until business hours (8:00am - 4:30pm) because of potential harm to you, others, the area around you, or equipment.

Emergency maintenance issue include:

  • Broken window
  • Lost or stolen key
  • Severe water leak
  • Broken toilet
  • No electricity
  • Toilet overflowing
  • No Heat
  • Locked out 

Physical Plant response time depends on our normal operating hours. 

When Physical Plant is open, call us at 503.943.7306 and a technician will be dispatched.
When Physical Plant is closed, call Campus Safety at 503.943.7161 and an on-call Physical Plant technician will be there as soon as possible. 

When can I expect a response once a non-emergency maintenance request is submitted?

You can expect a Physical Plant technician to communicate with you within three workdays of us receiving the request.

Our process is as follows:

  • Once the work or key request is received, it will be converted to a work order and a specific number will be assigned and a maintenance technician will be scheduled. This usually happens within an hour of us receiving the request.

  • Once a work order has been assigned, the requester will receive an e-mail with its number and directions on how to check its status.

  • The assigned maintenance technician will take your request and prioritize it with the other work orders he/she has been given. Any updates and changes will be emailed to the requester. 

How do I check on the status of a submitted work request?

If you are on campus, please go to iServiceDesk and enter your work request or work order number.

If you are off-campus, give us a call at 503.943.7306 or e-mail us at physicalplant@up.edu.

Will the maintenance technician come at any hour of the day or night?

For emergency issues, the technician will fix the problem as soon as possible, regardless of the time of day or night.

For non-emergency issues, the technician will investigate/fix the issue during regular hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) with the following exceptions:
  • Residence halls will not be entered until 10 a.m.
  • Rental units will not be entered until 9 a.m. 

How will I know that the work request is completed?

You will receive an e-mail stating that the associated work order has been completed. The technician will also either notify you directly or leave a note that the job has been completed. 

In what state will the maintenance technician leave my room/unit?

We will minimize the disturbance to any of your items in your room, unit, or office. We will only disturb items that are necessary for the job to be accomplished. If items were disturbed or we left a mess, please contact us at 503.943.7306 or physicalplant@up.edu.

In addition, it is our policy to always lock an unoccupied room, unit, or office after we leave, regardless of whether or not it was unlocked upon arrival.

How do I provide feedback to the Physical Plant?

Feedback is very important to us. Whether it is constructive or encouraging, we want to hear from you! Please e-mail your comments to physicalplant@up.edu. Each comment will be read by the Physical Plant Director and Assistant Director, and a response will be sent back to you. 

If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to contact the Physical Plant office by phone at 503.943.7306.