Application Questions

How do I apply to the Graduate School?

Our application is online and can be found here:  graduate.up.edu/apply

Is there a fee to apply to the Graduate School

We do not charge an application fee if you are seeking a certificate or a degree. If you are applying as a non-degree seeking student, there is a $50 application fee. Read our non-degree seeking information.

Do I have to submit all of my application documents at the same time?

No. The Statement of Goals or essays must be included at the time of submission, but you can pause the application at any point and save your progress. You can also come back later to upload additional documents after submission.  Official transcripts and test scores are to be submitted utilizing the methods below.

Can I edit my online application or add supplemental material once I submit it?

Yes - you can log back into the online portal to edit your application or add materials.  If you need to pause to write the essays or collect contact information for your references, you can also save your progress if you're not ready to submit the application.

How do I submit official transcripts?

Transcripts must be sent in an official capacity. If your university offers an e-transcript service and can send your transcript as a PDF, please send it to gradschl@up.edu. Otherwise, please have your transcript mailed in an envelope sealed by your university to:

Graduate School - University of Portland
5000 N Willamette Blvd, MSC 177
Portland, OR 97203

I previously attended the University of Portland. Do I need to submit my official UP transcripts?

No, you do not need to request your official transcripts form the University of Portland if you are applying to one of our graduate programs. 

Can I submit my application before I have received my bachelor's degree?

Yes. You can submit your application before you receive your bachelor’s degree, as long as you are on track to receive your degree before the start of the program you are applying for at the University of Portland. If admitted you will need to submit your official degree awarding transcript before classes begin. 

How do I submit standardized test scores?

The University of Portland institution code is 4847. When you take an exam, add the University of Portland as a school to receive your official score report. 

When is the application deadline?

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the application deadline. Different programs have different deadlines. To see the deadline to apply, select the program you are interested in and view specific deadlines on the program requirements page.

Can I change the program or term I am applying to after I have submitted my application?

Yes. If you would like to change your program or desired entry term, please email gradschl@up.edu and we will make the changes for you. Do not submit a new application.

How can I check on the status of my application?

When you complete your application, you will receive an email with log-in information for our Graduate Admissions portal. The site contains useful information, as well as a real-time application checklist with received material and outstanding requirements. You can also contact us at gradschl@up.edu or 503-943-7170 to request an update on your application. 

Admissions Questions

What are the requirements for admission?

Each program has their own admission requirements. See the Graduate Programs and Requirements page.

How long will it take to be notified of an admissions decision after completing my application?

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, however some programs only begin reviewing applications after a certain date. You will usually hear from us within 2-3 weeks after completing your application and we will try to give you a decision as soon as possible. Please check with your program coordinator or email us at gradschl@up.edu to receive a status update on your application. 

How do I confirm my enrollment?

Call or email your graduate coordinator whose contact information is in your acceptance letter. If you cannot reach them, please contact the Graduate School.

Can I defer my enrollment?

Yes. You can defer your acceptance for up to one year. Please contact us at gradschl@up.edu if you would like to defer. 

I have been conditionally admitted. What happens next?

The conditions of your admission or continuation are listed on your acceptance letter. Please follow the instructions on your acceptance letter and submit any required material by the date listed. 

How much will my program cost?

Tuition is charged per credit hour and varies depending on the program. Please see our page on Tuition and Fees.

When are tuition and fees due?

A full list of important dates can be found on our Student Accounts page. 

Is University housing available to graduate students?

Yes, the University of Portland has housing options available for graduate students. Information on these options can be found on the Residence Life website.

What do I do if I cannot log in to my UP account?

If you are having trouble logging into your UP account, please contact the Help Desk at help@up.edu or call 503-943-7000.