Veteran Education Benefits | University of Portland

Veteran Education Benefits

Army and Air Force ROTC cadets at Praying Hands MemorialThe University of Portland recognizes our veterans' dedicated service to our country.

The University of Portland is qualified to accept veteran education benefits (Chapters 33, 35, 31, 30, and 1606).

To initiate the certification process, please submit a copy of your official Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to We do not require a copy of your DD-214 or other documentation.

Parents wishing to transfer Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) eligibility to their child can do so via eBenefits on the VA website. Once the transfer is confirmed, the student will then need to apply for the benefit, which can also be done via eBenefits. The VA will send the student a COE once the application is approved. As stated above, we do need the student’s COE and cannot confirm enrollment to the VA based on the transfer of eligibility confirmation.

VA Benefits Handbook

Applying for the Yellow Ribbon Program

University of Portland is proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which provides eligible students with full tuition coverage. Students who have 100% tuition coverage under Post-9/11 (Chapter 33)  may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program. For eligible students, the Yellow Ribbon Program kicks in once a student’s Chapter 33 benefits are exhausted for the academic year to provide full tuition coverage.  

University of Portland has 55 Yellow Ribbon spots for undergraduate students and 25 for graduate students. Per VA regulations, these awards must be assigned on a first come, first served basis within the application process determined by the school. 

Once you have been admitted, you can apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program using the form linked below.

VA Resources

These links are intended to help you navigate Veterans Affairs resources.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at