Parents: Frequently Asked Questions


I have questions or concerns regarding Coronavirus. Where can I find the latest updates and information?

For the latest updates and information from UP, please visit

Please direct any pressing questions and concerns to

You can also access additional resources for parents and ways to stay connected.

Residence and Transportation

What is my student's mailing address?

Address all mail to your student as:

First Name Last Name
Residence Hall Name and Room Number
5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, OR 97203

Visit Mailing Services to learn more.

Who can I speak with if my student has a roommate problem?

Learning to live with another person naturally requires adjustments, patience, and good communication. Should your student experience a problem with their roommate, encourage them to contact Residence Life. Residence Life staff members can work with students to resolve roommate issues. The live-in professional and paraprofessional staff are trained and experienced in leadership, communication skills, problem solving, working with people, and community development. Visit the Residence Life site to learn more.

Should my student come home during their first semester at UP?

For students who can commute home on the weekends, we encourage you to advise them not to do so during the first 4-6 weeks of their first semester. The first weeks are very important for establishing friendships and connections on campus. Many local universities do not begin classes until mid-September. If students hang out off-campus (with their high school friends) during this critical first-year bonding time, they may find it harder to make friends later in the semester.

Can my student have a car on campus?

Resident students classified as first year students may not bring an automobile to the University. If this policy poses a hardship, an exception may be granted by the Director of Campus Safety. Applications for exception must include justification for granting an exemption. An application for an exception does not guarantee the exemption will be granted. Additional information about parking and driving at UP can be found on the Campus Safety website.

What should I remember if my student is a commuter?

If your student will live at home and commute to school, remind yourself that college is not an extension of high school. Courses are more demanding and require more hours of preparation outside of class time. Involvement in a variety of campus activities is essential if your commuting student is going to derive the full benefit of an undergraduate education. Make a conscious effort to limit the domestic responsibilities of your student in the home and support their full participation in University life.

There are many transportation options for commuter students, including personal vehicles and public transportation. More information on parking and commute options can be found on the Campus Safety website.

Safety, Health, and Inclusion

How does UP keep its campus safe?

The University of Portland places a high priority on the safety of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors, and the Department of Campus Safety is committed to keeping our campus secure. More information about their department can be found on the Campus Safety website. To learn about additional resources for safety on campus, visit the Student Life page.

Where should my student go if they have physical or mental health needs while on campus?

The dedicated staff at the University Health and Counseling Center is here to help students stay healthy and address their physical and mental health needs while on campus. They provide confidential medical and mental health services to all full-time and part-time students. Visits with all providers are free, with nominal charges for tangible items such as medications. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Orrico Hall. They close daily from 12:00 p.m.- 1:00 p.m. Your student can reach them at 503.943.7134 to schedule an appointment or request information.

What is Early Alert?

The Early Alert program is a referral program for faculty, staff, students, and parents who are concerned about the physical, emotional, academic, or personal health of a University student. The Early Alert Program can assess the situation, offer support, and provide referrals to the breadth of resources on-campus. To learn more about the Early Alert program, contact the Early Alert Coordinator Gina Loschiavo at 503.943.7709. The Early Alert program does not respond directly to emergencies, so if you have an emergency please call Campus Safety at 503.943.4444 or call 911.

How does the University foster a community of diversity, equity, and inclusion?

The University seeks to foster an environment that values, honors, and respects the inherent differences in our students, faculty, and staff populations and that benefits from the ideas, experiences, and perspectives of a diverse and inclusive community. We provide safe and inclusive programs, events, and resources that embrace our diverse community. For more information about diversity, equity, and inclusion at UP, as well as resources available to students, please visit the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion site.

Academic Resources

Does someone help my student register for their first semester of classes?

Yes. Depending on your student’s intended major, they will be part of a specific College or School within the University of Portland. Someone from your student's school will begin to work with your student in mid-May to register for fall classes. Between mid-May and August 1, schedules will be built by your student’s school. Any changes made after August 1 will be communicated to your student via email. Registration differs slightly between schools, as each program has different requirements for their various majors.

Students with an intended major in the College of Arts and Sciences (including undeclared students), the Pamplin School of Business, and the School of Education will be interviewed, either in person or over the phone. Schedules will then be created based on courses required for their intended major, core requirements for the University, and their personal interests.

Students who are in the Shiley School of Engineering or the School of Nursing will receive their schedules via email after registration begins. Because the curriculum for the first year is a fairly set schedule for both schools, administrators in these schools will create a schedule for your student.

For more detailed information, please see the New Student Registration pages for fall or spring, as well as the University of Portland Enrollment Packet.

Where should I send my student if they need help with classes, registration, tutoring, or other questions?

The Shepard Academic Resource Center (located in Buckley Center 101) is a "one-stop" place for students to come for support, counsel, and assistance. The Center provides academic counseling, helps students explore interests related to their studies, and works closely with students having difficulty adjusting to college life. The Center can connect students to the other departments on campus, including Residence Life, Financial Aid, the Registrar, Study Abroad, Volunteer Services, and the Career Center.

To learn more, please call the Center at 503.943.7895. Hours are 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday, and 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Friday.

Life as a Student

When is Orientation, and what should students and parents expect when they arrive at UP?

Fall Orientation for first year and transfer students is held the weekend before classes start.

Orientation is a critical time for students to learn about the University, meet new people, and begin their adjustment process. Through an exciting and informative program of activities for both students and parents, Orientation allows you to build relationships with faculty, staff, and fellow Pilot parents as you embark on the college journey ahead. Please refer to the Orientation Webpage for specific dates and more information.

What is the biggest adjustment my student will have to face when they come to college?

Students face a number of adjustments over the course of their first year at college, and each student may handle the transition differently. Typically the initial biggest issue is homesickness. It takes time to get used to life away from home, with a person they may never have met before, and without the support system that you as parents often represent for them. Later in the semester, roommate issues may loom large as the "honeymoon period" of living with that other person wears off. Academic pressures begin to mount as the semester goes on and students realize the greater amount of time and effort that is needed to be academically successful at UP.

The good news is that UP has resources for students at each point of their adjustment to The Bluff. Homesickness is tempered through frequent and intentional opportunities to make connections and get involved in campus life. The Health and Counseling Center has counselors available to speak with students about their homesickness and any other issues they may want to discuss. For roommate issues, we encourage students to first communicate with each other to resolve the problem. Resident Hall Staff are also available on each floor to help mediate. Finally, students facing academic difficulties can talk to their professors and utilize the services of the Shepard Academic Resource Center.

What is there for my student to do at UP?

Plenty! The Office of Student Activities puts on frequent events around campus, including movies, dances, off-campus excursions, and more.

Is your student planning on being an engineer? Does your student have a passion for board games? UP has a club for them! Check out our full list of clubs and organizations.

They might also enjoy our Outdoor Pursuits Program, which allows UP students to witness the beauty and excitement of the Pacific Northwest.

Whether it’s getting an on-campus job, joining a club, attending a retreat through Campus Ministry, or performing community service, there are many ways to get involved at UP!

Grades and Tuition

Do I have access to my student's grades?

The University of Portland does not mail grades home. Final grades are available online to students in Self Serve. Midterm grades for 100 and 200 level classes are also posted in Self Serve. We encourage you to speak with your student about grades frequently.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. For more specific information on what is protected under FERPA, please refer to the registrar's website. In our efforts to adhere to FERPA guidelines, University of Portland administrators will not share certain information to parents without the submission of authorization from students. Students must sign the FERPA Parent Proxy in order for parents to have access to any education records, including grades. If your student does sign the form, you are welcome to contact the Shepard Academic Resource Center to have a discussion about their academics.

Who can I speak with about my student's tuition bill?

We encourage you to visit the student accounts website for more information about tuition, fees, and paying bills, or contact them directly.

Please keep in mind that the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. For more specific information on what is protected under FERPA, please refer to the registrar's website. In our efforts to adhere to FERPA guidelines, University of Portland administrators will not share certain information to parents without the submission of authorization from students. Students must sign the FERPA Parent Proxy in order for parents to have access to financial information.