Skip to main content Skip to footer site map


Events and Activities

What questions should I consider as I plan an event?

Before you start planning your event, you’ll need an idea. Whether your organization has done the event every year for the past ten years or you’re trying something completely new, below are some considerations you should make to your event planning team:

  • What are the needs of our organization and how can an event help meet those needs?
  • What are the needs of the campus community and how can our event help meet those needs?
  • What do we want participants to learn or experience at our event?
  • What is the mission of our organization? How do our events align with our mission?

Going through these questions with your event planning team will help to focus your efforts and decide what methods would be effective in meeting the needs of your organization and the UP community. Once you have reflected on and discussed these questions, it is time to start brainstorming the details:

  • What’s the purpose of the event? Are you trying to raise money for your organization or a non-profit? Are you trying to increase the visibility of your organization on campus? Are you trying to provide a social or experiential opportunity for the UP community? Are you hosting an event to celebrate a holiday, milestone, or historic event?
  • What activities and elements will we incorporate to support the purpose of the event and the mission of our organization? Live music? Speaker or lecturer? Sports activity? Food? Novelty act?
  • Are there opportunities for collaboration with another organization? Are there organizations or departments that have similar missions or functions to ours?
  • Who will take the lead in coordinating the event? Who will be the point people? The marketing coordinator? The logistics coordinator? The co-sponsorships coordinator?
  • What time and day of the week are ideal for our event? Select a few different options to remain flexible.
  • How many people do we expect to attend our event? Make sure your expected attendance matches the room capacity of your location.
  • What locations would be ideal for our event? Select 2-3 different options to remain flexible.
  • What would be the ideal start and end time of our event? How much set-up and breakdown time will we need?
  • Who is most likely to attend our event? Who is your target audience?

What is a reasonable timeline for planning an event?

Create a Timeline. When tackling a project, it’s often a good strategy to develop a personal timeline that specifies when certain tasks need to be completed and in what order you plan to complete them. Below is a general event-planning timeline. Feel free to customize this checklist to include the specific needs for your group’s activity.

Depending on the size of the event (100 or more attending), schedule a meeting with the Office of Student Activities to review the proposed activity details. This meeting helps ensure you have all of the information you need to plan a successful event and comply with University policies.

Six or More Weeks Before Event - Goal Setting
  • Define goals of program (cultural, educational, faculty, community service, social)
  • Brainstorm program ideas, keeping in mind target audience
  • Be honest: Do you have enough “advance time” to do this event?
Four Weeks Before Event - Program Development
  • Determine the needs/interests the program will serve
  • Determine how this program meets organization’s goals/mission
  • Determine budget for program
  • Determine division of responsibilities within your group and with other groups when appropriate.
Three to Four Weeks Before Event - Program Registration/Approval and Choosing Dates
  • Check for conflicts with major campus events, activities of group members, etc. To do so, please visit the Engage events page as well as the campus master calendar
  • Reserve room for a specified date 
  • Identify speaker/performer
  • Ask about contract requirements. Do not make a personal contractual commitment—if you do, you may be personally liable for the contract fee).
  • Find out technical/media requirements
  • Request promotional materials from speaker/performer (if applicable—create your own publicity for the event in either case)
Three Weeks Before Event - Event Notification Form, Party Notification Form, Catering/Food Policy & Publicity
  • Fill out the Event Submission Form through your groups Engage page. An event or party is approved when the Office of Student Activities approves the form on Engage.
  • If your event has a food service please consult with the Bon Appetit in advance of contracting the caterer and/or deciding on any food options. All events with food must be approved at least two weeks in advance and must comply with the University’s Catering Policy.
One to Two Weeks Before Event - Forms and Supplies
  • Ensure that Event Submission Form through your groups Engage page has been completed and is registered with the Student Activities Office. This should be done two weeks before an event.
  • Once the event has been approved by the Office of Student Activities: Advertise to group members and rest of student body via e-mail, word of mouth, flyers/posters, social media, Announcements, ADvantage digital boards, etc.
  • Coordinate hospitality for speaker/performer (if applicable)
  • Plan decorations
One Week Before Event
  • Send reminders to group members and people who’ve RSVPed through social media
  • Purchase decorations
  • Figure out how you’re paying for the event–e-mail ASUP about their credit card if applicable
Day Before Event
  • Send reminder to presenter, group members and people who’ve RSVPed through social media
  • Reconfirm any materials/equipment (AV, tables, chairs, etc.)
  • Purchase non-perishable food as well as cups, plates, napkins, utensils
Day of Event
  • Pick up any final food/materials
  • Decorate
  • Remove any valuables, such as artwork, that you think may be damaged
  • Walk through the building 15 minutes before the event to recruit additional participants
After Event
  • Clean up space used and take down all advertising/flyers/posters
  • Send thank you notes to speaker/performer, volunteers, and other special people (including funding sources)
  • Finalize budget expenditures—submit honorarium, all itemized receipts, purchase order copies, etc. to ASUP director of finance

How do I reserve a room?

All room reservations must be submitted by the club’s advisor or the Office of Student Activities.

  1. Go to the UP Portal.
  2. Log-in.
  3. In Campus Events click on Reserve a Room.
  4. Go to MyAccount and the Log-in again for security reasons.
  5. Before you request a space on campus, please click on the Browse for Space tab to see if room is available on the date and time you need – this will help speed up the process.
  6. Go to Reservations and then click on Request a Space – this will bring up the reservation request form for you to input the specific information in order to find the right space.
  7. All boxes with a red asterisk need to be filled in to find a space. It may take a couple of tries to find the appropriate space, but once you do click on the green cross to select your location.
  8. Once the space shows up on the selected locations scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Continue button.
  9. A page will show up where you can enter the following information: Event Name, Event Type, Group Details (your contact information), Other Information (University Calendar, Set-up and Break-down time, etc.), AV, Catering, and Set-up Needs, Account Number (required), then click the Submit Reservation button.
  10. You will automatically receive an email that your request has been submitted. Once the request has been approved you will receive a confirmation email from University Events.
  11. If you have any questions when requesting a reservation, please contact University Events.
  12. If you need to make any changes to your reservation after you submitted it, you can log back into the system and click on Reservations and then click on View My Requests.
  13. To make changes you click on the reservation you would like to make changes to, and navigate the reservation to make specific changes.

How do I order food for an event?

Bon Appetit offers multiple student catering options. To view their complete list of catering options please visit their website.

Below are a few tips about student catering:
  • Please book any student catering through Vickie Long.
  • Please book your catering 2 weeks in advance.
  • Please have all ID numbers ready 1 week in advance.
  • Student catering cannot have more than one order per day.
  • The pick-up area is in the Kitchen.

How do I bring a speaker to campus?

A faculty member, a University department, or a recognized student club or organization must sponsor speakers invited to campus. Where special problems can be foreseen at events dealing with highly charged and emotional issues, the president of the University or his delegate may prescribe conditions in order to ensure an atmosphere of open exchange and to see that the educational objectives of the University are not obscured.

How do I pay an individual or group for services to my club?

All contracts, payment forms, and reimbursement forms should be submitted to the Office of Student Activities or the ASUP director of finance two weeks in advance to ensure all payments and paperwork will be processed on time.

If you are agreeing to pay an individual or group for services to your club (concert performance, guest lecture, equipment rental, etc.), you MUST submit the following three forms to the Program Coordinator for Student Clubs & Organizations:

  1. Standard Agreement Form (Contract)
  2. Substitute W-9 Form
  3. Reimbursement & Payment Request

Where do I find the Standard Agreement form (contract)? How do I fill it out?

You can read the Standard Agreement form. This is the legal agreement between the person or group you are paying and the University.

  • You fill out the top portion with event logistics, and the amount you have agreed to pay.
  • The person or group you are paying fills out the bottom right portion with their name, signature, tax ID#, etc.
  • The UNIVERSITY fills out the bottom left portion. 

Can I sign a contract?

As a student you cannot sign contracts with vendors or speakers. Only an agent of the university. If you have questions or concerns, reach out to the Program Coordinator for Clubs & Organizations, Bryan Dennis.

Where do I find the Substitute W-9 form? How do I fill it out?

Here is the Substitute W-9 form. The person or group you are paying completes this entire form.

Where do I find the Reimbursement & Payment Request form? How do I fill it out?

The Reimbursement & Payment Request form.

  • You complete the top half of the form.
  • Work with the ASUP Director of Finance to fill out the rest of the form, if using ASUP funds.
  • Leave the "Controller's Office Signature", "Banner Document #", and "Authorized Budget Approver" lines blank.

How do I request a reimbursement for a purchase I made for my club?

If you are requesting reimbursement for a purchase you or a club member has made on behalf of the club, complete the Reimbursement & Payment Request Form.

How do I create a contract?

Any contract (examples: bands or speakers) involving payment must be handled by the Program Coordinator for Clubs and Organizations and signed by a University officer (normally by the Vice President for Student Affairs). When working with the Program Coordinator for Clubs and Organizations, it is important to give at least a month notice to have him review the contract and have the appropriate individuals sign it. If contracts are not handled by one of those staff members, the contract will not be honored and you will not receive the funds necessary for your event. If the contract is with a company please include the tax identification number or if it is with an individual, include his/her Social Security Number. The individual will also need to fill out a W9 form, which can be found on the Controller's website.

Can students sign contracts?

Students are not authorized to sign contracts obligating the University to provide services, space, its name, etc. in conjunction with club events, and must so inform any agents or performers of this fact when gathering information and discussing the possibility of hiring performers or holding events.

Can I show a film on campus?

The Federal Copyright Act specifies that copyrighted materials like movies can be used publicly if properly licensed. However, neither the rental nor purchase of a movie carries the right to exhibit it outside of one’s home. The good news is ASUP Films can properly license movies for a copyright compliant exhibition.

Who does copyright law apply to?

This law applies to everyone, regardless of:

  • Whether admission is charged.
  • Whether the institution is commercial or nonprofit.
  • Whether a federal, state or local agency is involved.
  • What year the movie was produced.

This means colleges, universities, public schools, public libraries, day care facilities, parks, recreation departments, summer camps, churches, private clubs, prisons, lodges, businesses and more all must properly license movies to show them publicly.

Who can provide me with the proper licensing for a film?

Only ASUP Films can provide the necessary licensing to show films on your campus on behalf of the studios.

What happens to those who violate copyright law?

Motion picture companies can and will go to court to ensure their copyrights are not violated. Those convicted could face embarrassing publicity, up to five years in prison and fines ranging up to $250,000.

Do we need a license even if we don't charge admission? What if someone owns the movie?

Yes. A license is required for all public performances regardless of whether admission is charged. The rental, purchase, lending or download of a movie does not provide the right to exhibit it publicly outside the home unless the screening is properly licensed.

Who’s responsible if a film is shown without a license?

The management of the venue or premises where the movie is shown bears the ultimate responsibility and consequences of copyright infringement. However, anyone involved with the public performance of copyrighted material could be implicated.

If I purchased a license to show a movie, can I show that movie whenever I want?

Unfortunately, no. Licenses are valid for a specific, designated time frame. There are no annual licenses available to colleges and universities.

A small group is having an informal gathering in our facility. Do we still need a license?

Yes. A license needs to be obtained regardless of the number of people attending the screening if the movie is being shown outside the home.

What is a major event or program?

A major event is a program, event or activity sponsored by student organizations involving 100 or more participants held on UP’s campus. Examples of major events include dances, balls, step shows, talent shows, fashion shows, comedy shows, lectures, entertainment performances, and Cultural Events. Meetings are not considered major events. Student organizations can only sponsor or co-sponsor one major event per semester. Any club planning to host a major event must contact The Office of Student Activities at least ten weeks beforehand.

What are the guidelines for events involving alcohol?

Any University-sponsored events that include alcohol where graduate or undergraduate students are present must be approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs or his/her designee(s). All such events must include adequate safeguards to ensure moderate and legal consumption through the promotion of responsible attitudes towards and decision-making regarding the consumption of alcohol. Approval will normally only be granted when the event complies with the policies found on the Guidelines and Approval Form for a University Event with Alcohol policy available on the Office of Student Affairs website.

Conduct Procedures and Policies

What is corporate responsibility?

Living groups and clubs formally recognized by the University are subject to the same regulations as individual students. University recognition means that such groups accept corporate, or group, responsibility to protect the members of the University community and their guests from any violation of their rights or privileges in group activities and activities of individual members. Such clubs are generally required to designate officers, but such designation in no way diminishes the group's corporate responsibility. Failure of officers, when acting in their official capacity, to protect the rights of members of the community or to observe University regulations will subject them as individuals to judicial action. Such failure and subsequent judicial action does not relieve the clubs or organization of its corporate responsibility, and the club's status and recognition may be subject to review, possible suspension, revocation or permanent disbanding even after one violation.

What are the guidelines for conduct?

Interruption of the on-going processes of the University whether in the classroom, residence halls, Commons, or campus proper is acceptable only with the permission obtained from the Director of Student Activities.

At events which are sponsored by campus clubs or student organizations, either on campus or in the community, conduct of the participants will be such that it does not reflect negatively toward the University.

What is the non-discrimination policy?

Membership in all student clubs shall be open to all interested undergraduate students who meet previously approved club requirements. Single-gender student clubs will be approved providing that similar opportunities, if desired, are available to the other gender. Transgender, or nonbinary students are welcome to participate in all clubs and organizations they feel best align with their preferred identity.

What are the guidelines for pledging?

All newcomers to a club will be full, active members at the time of joining. Local groups may have a pre-approved program to educate new members on the history and traditions of the group. Nationally chartered, current student organizations may follow their constitutions and bylaws in regard to pledging, but these guidelines must have prior approval from the Director of Student Activities. No new student club will be recognized that require a pledge period.

What are the guidelines for hazing?

Groups with an initiation ceremony or pledge period may not violate University policies on hazing and initiation. Initiation is normally considered to be a one-time event. The group's advisor or approved designee must be present at all initiation ceremonies and activities. No student clubs or organization shall conduct hazing activities.

What is hazing?

“Hazing” is defined as any behavior on or off campus that singles out members of this community or members of a student organization, group, club, athletic team, or residence hall in a manner that is unwelcome. Such behavior may or may not include taking action or creating a situation to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Due to the coercive nature of hazing, implied or expressed consent to hazing is not a defense under this policy.

For a more complete description and listing of hazing please see Life on the Bluff.

What does it mean for my club to be in good standing?

In order to remain in good standing, activities encouraged, sponsored by, or participated in by a club, organization, or any member acting on the club or organization’s behalf must be consistent with the University’s mission and Catholic character. Clubs and organizations must abide by all University policies, as well as local, state, and federal law. Student groups should pay particularly close attention to policies regarding distribution and posting of literature, use of alcoholic beverages, use of campus facilities, trips and transportation, and campus regulations regarding noise and quiet hours. Interruption of or disruption to the ongoing activities of the University, including, but not limited to, activity in classrooms, residence halls, the Commons, and campus proper, is acceptable only with permission obtained through the Director of Student Activities.

Does my club need to update our constitution?

Clubs should annually review their constitution and update the language as needed. Are you doing the events you said you wanted to? Are you achieving the mission you set out? Is your non-discrimination policy up to date?

The Office of Student Activities may require clubs to update their constitution on a regular basis.

What is a Hold Harmless (Liability) Waiver?

Should you be concerned about the extent of your legal responsibility, rest assured that the University's liability coverage would apply to a club or organization under reasonable circumstances. As always, it is important that you act as a reasonable and prudent person would act. If your club decides to enter into a physically demanding activity then you should ensure precautions are taken. Universities typically do not sponsor or have their name associated with risky activities of this nature unless the university has clearly stated the risks involved in a Hold Harmless Waiver (Liability) Form, and the university’s insurance company has been consulted.

The best advice for you is to contact the Office of Student Activities if you have any reason to be concerned about the health and safety of students in conjunction with the club.

Club Registration and Recognition

What information do I need to provide to start a club?

The Office of Student Activities is responsible for the implementation of university policies regarding the recognition of student clubs. As part of this process it is necessary that the following information be collected:

  • Official name of the club or organization
  • Name and contact information for club President, Treasurer & Advisor
  • Club roster including first/last name and email address of each member
  • List and description of purposed activities for the year
  • List of purposed fundraising methods
  • A current approved constitution (and bylaws)

 Learn how to start a club.

Who can participate in clubs?

All undergraduates who pay a student government fee must be allowed to participate in those clubs that most match their interests. It may be necessary that student clubs limit their membership to undergraduate students currently enrolled for a degree at the University; however, the club may give an affiliate status to current graduate students, University faculty, staff, and alumni. Affiliates may not outnumber student members nor shall they hold any elected office.

What are some of the benefits to having a recognized club?

Recognition allows the club to utilize campus facilities and services, use the University’s name in the identification of the club and in the sponsorship of activities and events, and provide the group the option to apply for ASUP funding.

Who decides if my club can be established or recognized?

The Director of Student Activities will make final determination regarding organizational recognition and will adopt the necessary procedures for the implementation of the recognition process.

How do I start the club recognition process?

A group wishing to initiate the recognition procedure will first schedule an appointment with the Program Coordinator for Student Clubs and Organizations. From here, the group may consult for assistance in completing the club proposal.

  • The completed club proposal and constitution are then submitted to the ASUP Club Recognition Advisory Committee (CRAC) for review.
  • If CRAC finds information in the proposal that is inadequate, CRAC will notify the club that changes or additions must be made.
  • CRAC then meets with the club’s officers if deemed necessary
  • CRAC makes one of three formal recommendation to the Director of Student Activities about the official recognition of the club.
    • Approval without Reservation
    • Approval with Reservation
    • Recommendation that the club not be approved

Why might my club proposal be denied?

Reasons for a club proposal to be denied or rescinded may include, but are not limited to:

  • The group's stated purpose or its activities do not respect the mission of the University, its Catholic traditions and values, or its policies and guidelines for student clubs.
  • It is determined that the group is not serving the interests of students.
  • The proposed club or organization intends to discriminate in its requirements for membership.
  • There is already a recognized club or organization that shares the group’s stated purpose.

What can I do if my club proposal is denied?

If approval is denied or rescinded, an appeal may be made in writing to the Vice President for Student Affairs.

How do I recruit people to join my club?

Healthy clubs are regularly reaching out to welcome new members. Annual Activities Fairs are a great place to highlight what your club offers. Club can also: host information meetings, reach out to faculty/staff for recommendations, invite interested students to events, and reserve common’s tables to bring awareness to the club’s efforts.

Why does my club need an Advisor?

The University requires recognized clubs and student organizations to have a UP faculty or staff advisor. Faculty/staff advisors are the most important resource a club has. Advisors provide advice, create a learning atmosphere, encourage new program ideas, help develop and plan and they are available for consultation and mediation. They promote the purpose and activities of your group to other faculty/staff as well as assist students in developing relationships with faculty/staff members.

Advisors can help your club or organization become self-sufficient by giving advice when called upon or when s/he feels it is appropriate. The advisor is concerned with the function of the entire club as well as with the individual group members.

What roles do Faculty/Staff Advisors play?

Advisors provide continuity from year to year. Advisors ensure the group follows University guidelines and explains University policy. They share their knowledge in principles of group dynamics, organization and administrative practices. Advisors show support by attending group activities. In summary, an advisor is a problem-solver, mediator, guide, critic, and resource person. Advisors also make all club room reservations through EMS.

How does my club obtain a Faculty/Staff Advisor?

To aid your club in finding the faculty/staff advisor that will best "fit" your club, follow these suggestions:

  • Brainstorm with your group and create a list of faculty and staff members that group members know and with whom they are comfortable.
  • Look for faculty and staff who might share the interests of your club.
  • Send a small delegation to speak with a potential advisor. Explain why you think it is a good match.
  • When asking a faculty or staff member to advise your group, you must clearly communicate the group's expectations of the advisor. Role negotiation is the first step to any advising relationship.

Bryan Dennis, the Program Coordinator for Student Clubs and Organizations, is available to talk with faculty and staff about the University’s expectations for advisors of student clubs and organizations.

How does my club get re-recognized?

All recognized clubs are subject to yearly renewal process.

Please note:

  • All re-recognition information must be completed by the end of spring semester.
  • Any time during the academic year in which new officers are elected, please update Engage.
  • The Office of Student Activities or CRAC may require each club to review their constitution on an annual cycle.

What happens if my club doesn't meet the re-recognition deadline?

Clubs that do not meet the spring re-recognition deadline in Engage will be “Frozen” until a determination can be made as to their future status. Frozen clubs will be limited on the Engage platform until the re-recognition process is complete.

How do I “unfreeze” my club?

Loss of recognition carries a loss of all privileges granted to a fully recognized student club. In order to regain the status of full recognition and the accompanying privileges, members must re-initiate the entire procedure for recognition from the initial steps already outlined. Renewal of recognition is not guaranteed.

Marketing and Advertising

What is an accommodations statement?

To be compliant with ADA standards, a disability accommodations statement needs to be on all advertisements to be approved for posting. The following sentence is an example: "For questions or ADA accommodations, please contact (SPONSOR NAME) at (SPONSOR EMAIL or PHONE)."

Can I post flyers or posters on campus?

All flyers, posters, table tents, and other forms of printed advertisements need an approval stamp from the Office of Student Activities to remain posted on campus. The Office of Student Activities is pleased to post your flyers for you, saving you the effort of walking all over campus! Just bring the appropriate number of flyers or posters to our office and we'll get them up on the bulletin boards we are responsible for around campus. Flyer distribution usually occurs every Tuesday and Friday that school is in session. Only one advertisement per event is permitted on any one bulletin board. All posters and fliers will be removed from University bulletin boards the day following the event or two weeks after the date of approval, whichever is earlier. Unauthorized material will be removed.

What information should be on my flyer?

Flyers and posters must clearly display the following information:
  • Accurate date, time, and location
  • Organization or department that is hosting
  • The following sentence: "For questions or ADA accommodations, please contact (SPONSOR NAME) at (SPONSOR EMAIL or PHONE)." This sentence is required on all UP flyers/posters and is used to signify ADA accommodations, the UP club, organization or department sponsoring the activity (this cannot be a student name), and contact information for someone organizing the activity.
Flyers and posters must also follow these guidelines:
  • They must be in good taste. Poor taste includes, but is not limited to: sexually explicit pictures or photographs; statements, symbols, depictions, or references to alcohol or drugs; foul language and any other offensive or vulgar material; cultural insensitivity.
  • Materials may not be obscene or defamatory and must not violate university policy or federal, state, or local laws.
  • Please avoid jargon. Use language that is as clear as possible.

Can someone check to see if my flyer has the necessary information on it?

Bring in or email the original flyer to The Office of Student Activities or email it to before making copies to ensure that all the necessary information has been included.

What is the difference between a flyer and poster? What is the benefit of making a flyer instead of a poster?

The maximum size for flyers is 8.5 x 11 inches. The maximum size for posters is 14 x 22 inches. There is limited space on the campus bulletin boards, so priority goes to 8.5 x 11 sized flyers if there are too many flyers and posters to fit on a board at one time. Posters are too large to be delivered to Residence Life.

Where are my flyers posted?




Full run (flyers only):


All Campus

Main bulletin boards only:


Franz, BC, Commons, St. Mary's

Residence Halls only (flyers only):


All Residence Halls

Sales/ Solicitation:


Franz, BC

Off-campus advertisements:


Franz, BC

Table Tents



Can I distribute literature on campus?

Newspapers, magazines, journals, and other periodicals must be approved by the Office of Student Activities for distribution prior to delivery. Materials such as brochures, handbills, information sheets, or promotional items approved for distribution may be handed out in high-traffic areas (e.g., in the Bauccio Commons foyer) as indicated by the Director of Student Activities. Door-to-door or random solicitation to pedestrians is prohibited. Materials may not be placed on or in vehicles parked on campus or left unattended in public areas. All materials to be distributed in all residence halls must be approved by the Office of Residence Life.

Am I allowed to stake posters into the ground?

The Office of Student Activities has a limited number of wooden stakes that clubs can rent for $1 each. These stakes can be used to display posters outside on campus in designated areas.

Can I write in chalk on campus to advertise my event?

Recognized clubs, student organizations, and campus departments may use sidewalk chalk to advertise an event or promote messages related to the group’s mission and purpose provided they obtain permission in advance from the Office of Student Activities. Permission may be obtained by sending submitting a request on Engage at least three business days in advance.

Once approved, chalking is allowed under the following guidelines:

  • Only non-toxic, erasable chalk may be used; permanent markers, grease-based chalk, spray-on chalk paint, and/or any other forms of paint are not permitted.
  • Chalk may only be applied to horizontal, solid surfaces exposed to the sky such as campus sidewalks, walkways, and patios near residence hall entrances and the Pilot House where rain waters will naturally wash it off.
  • Chalk may not be applied to streets, parking spaces, the Bell Tower Plaza, the entryway to the Chapel of Christ the Teacher, the Seal of Holy Cross on the Academic Quad, benches, or any vertical surfaces (including, but not limited to, sides of buildings, step faces, stair risers, pillars, and trash receptacles).
  • The application of chalk may not deface decorative symbols or engraved text located on the sidewalks.
  • Chalk messages must be attributed to the sponsoring group or the messages will be subject to removal.
  • All messages must be respectful and appropriate for the general public, including children and other campus guests.
  • Messages deemed to be hateful, offensive, or construed to be threats of emotional or physical harm toward an individual or group are not permitted, will be removed, and parties found responsible will be referred to the Associate Director for Community Standards for review.
  • Arrangements must be made for approved event promotion messages to be removed within 24 hours of the completion of the event or the sponsoring group could be subject to removal charges.

Can I advertise in The Beacon?

The student newspaper, The Beacon, offers online advertising. View the options and an ad rate sheet.

How can I publicize my event? How do I use ADvantage for flyers and digital screens?

ADvantage publicizes student organization and campus department events. Your organization will be charged for publicity services and will be billed through the ASUP director of finance.

For a fee, ADvantage staff will produce and distribute campus publicity, including high quality digital flyers as well as hard-copy posters, flyers, and table tents to publicize campus events throughout campus and residence halls. ADvantage also advertises digitally. Each Residence Hall and many of the buildings on campus have digital screens that cycle through advertisements throughout the day.

ADvantage publicity request forms must be turned in ten days prior to the date you want the poster. Forms are available on Engage.

How do I reserve the Commons table?

To reserve the Commons table, contact the Office of Student Activities and ask for the date and specific hours you would like to reserve it. You must also state your club,organization, or department affiliation. Off-campus groups can reserve the table if a campus club or organization sponsors them. Reservations are on a first come, first serve basis. Recommended hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (lunch) OR 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (dinner). All other table reservations go through the EMS system.

Finances and Fundraising

What is the difference between my club ASUP Account and my club Waldschmidt Account?

These are two separate accounts. The ASUP account is managed by the ASUP Director of Finance. The money in this account comes from the general ASUP budget process, which occurs both fall and spring semesters.

The Waldschmidt account is managed by the Controller’s Office (e.g. Karen Lee), and is used when clubs conduct fundraisers or collect club dues. Clubs are not allowed to have an outside banking account – once the students graduate, only they can get access to this account and all the monies generated for this club cannot be accessed by anyone from the university.

Can I use an outside banking account for my club?

Please do not use an outside banking account or your own personal banking account for club funds. All club funds should be going into the club account located in the Controller’s Office (Waldschmidt Hall). Club funds may include club dues, fundraisers, donations from outside vendors, etc.

How do I get reimbursed, and where do I get the reimbursement form?

These forms need to be filled out at least two weeks prior to when the money is needed. This form of payment is used for $50 or more. Cash reimbursement forms are for under $50. The students need to turn this information into the ASUP Treasurer for processing. The forms can be found online under the Controller’s Office at Reimbursement and Payment Request Form

What is the ASUP Endowment Fund?

The funds left over in club accounts each semester now go straight into the endowment fund, which was voted on by the student body a few years ago. The endowment fund will create wealth for future club leaders, but right now the principle is still being added too.

How is the ASUP Budget funded?

The ASUP Budget is funded by the student government fee that full-time undergraduate students pay each semester. These funds may be requested by any recognized student club in good standing with the office of Student Activities.

How do I request funds for my club?

Any recognized club or organization wishing to request funds must submit a line item budget through their Engage group page. The budget timeline is emailed to all club presidents and treasurers by the ASUP Director of Finance.

Interview times with the ASUP Financial Management Board are set up when the budget request forms are returned. Any club wishing to receive ASUP funds should attend an interview with the ASUP Director of Finance and Financial Management Board. If you are unable to keep the scheduled interview, you are required to make arrangements to have another informed club officer take your place or by contacting the ASUP Director of Finance as soon as possible.

On Engage, you are asked to provide a line item budget for your semester budget request. Along with the request, a brief explanation is recommended. This ensures the club the opportunity to explain the request. If possible, get estimates from departments (e.g. Bon Appetit for food). Make sure you know if a service is free or not.

How does the ASUP budget interview process work?

At least one representative from the club may attend the Financial Management Board interview session. Generally, interviews last ten to fifteen minutes.

A representative from the club will be asked to give a brief explanation of their semester budget request. Please be prepared to elaborate your allocation in detail. If possible, the person who filled out the request form should be present at the interview.

The Financial Management Board is a group of five to ten voting members, all of whom are sworn in by the senate.

What happens after the ASUP budget interview?

After the interviews, the ASUP Director of Finance and the Financial Management Board will meet and review all requests for ASUP funds. At this time, the committee will create the proposed budget to the Senate.

What is the ASUP Senate's involvement in the allocation process?

The ASUP Director of Finance presents a proposed budget created by the Financial Management Board to the ASUP Senate for approval. At the following two Senate meetings, the budget will be openly discussed and debated by the senators. The ASUP Director of Finance is responsible to speak on behalf of the Financial Management Board to explain the proposed budget. In order to make changes to the proposed budget, a senator must make a motion. A motion must be approved by a 2/3 majority vote by the Senate in order to pass. At any time, a senator can move to vote on the budget, which will require a simple majority vote (more than half of the Senate) in order to pass, unless it has been amended by the Senate, in which case the budget requires a 2/3's majority to pass. During these senate meetings, clubs may ask Senate for revisions in the proposed allocation. This is the only chance for revisions and amendments to occur.

How does my club receive the funds it has been allocated?

There are several ways to receive the funds that have been allocated to your club. The easiest and preferred method is to have the ASUP Director of Finance pay for the expense on a University-owned credit card.

The second option for receiving ASUP funds is to have a club representative fill out a Reimbursement and Payment Request Form for each expense covered by the ASUP allocation. Be sure to put the address of the payee, as this is important for the Controller's office (where checks are written) and their records. Copies of any original contracts, receipts or invoices must be attached. If the payee is an individual for a service performed (e.g. speaker, DJ, etc.,), he/she will need to complete a W-9 form found on the Controller’s website. This is necessary for tax purposes. Amounts must be exact, as no payments with the amount left blank will be issued.

After receiving a club's request for reimbursement or payment, the ASUP Director of Finance sends it to the University's Controller's Office where all payments are finalized. Because the ASUP Director of Finance is not in the office every day, and because the University's Controller often has high volumes of work, any check requests should be placed on the ASUP Director of Finance's desk at a minimum of two weeks before the funds are needed. Otherwise, there is no way of ensuring that you will receive the money by the time needed.

What departments are considered internal charges?

The following charges are considered internal charges:
  • Bon Appetit
  • Public Safety
  • Print Shop/Mailing Center
  • ADvantage
  • AV Services
  • The Beacon (for ads)
  • Bookstore
  • Pilots Audio & Lighting (PAL)
  • Physical Plant

These departments are given a list of all clubs that have received funds from ASUP and for what specific event(s) these funds are intended. This allows allocated groups to make "charges" at these departments without filling out a check request. The University's Controller's Office will then notify the ASUP Director of Finance of these internal charges so s/he can deduct them from the club's account. Clubs should meet with the ASUP Director of Finance prior to charging something. Clubs are not permitted to charge anything without approval.

Can I sell or solicit on campus?

Individuals may not sell or solicit among the general University population unless they are sponsored by a recognized student organization or University department. Individual students who are fulfilling a class assignment which involves sales or solicitation in order to meet an approved curricular objective (e.g., for a marketing class) may conduct such projects on campus, and may keep a portion of the proceeds consistent with the class assignment’s objectives. Students who are conducting sales or solicitation as a class assignment must follow all University policies and procedures which apply to sales and solicitation for student organizations and University departments.

Can I use the University’s name or logo on merchandise?

The use of the University’s name, logos, seals, and symbols on any merchandise must be approved by the Office of Marketing and Communications. Unauthorized use and/or alteration of name, logo, or designated symbols of the University is strictly prohibited. Excluding University Athletics, Marketing and Communications, and Residence Life, approval from the Office of Student Activities is required for all student and departmental sales, services provided in exchange for resources, and solicitation for support by campus groups, both on and off campus, as well as all on-campus attempts to solicit the University student population by unaffiliated non-profit groups and businesses. Request forms are found at on Engage. Student groups should submit request forms at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of the proposed fundraiser or solicitation. If the solicitation is a campaign to request donations from parents, friends, organizations, or businesses, student groups should submit the request four weeks in advance of the proposed launch of the campaign as additional approval must be granted from the Office of Development.

Can I do crowd-sourced fundraising?

No, crowd-sourced fundraising is not allowed.

What is the difference between Sales and Solicitation?

Sales are defined as the activity of exchanging a product or service in exchange for money, goods or other services. Solicitation is defined as any effort to ask for support, donations or contributions of money, goods or services.

See Life on the Bluff for examples of sales and solicitation.

How do I sell or solicit on campus?

An on-campus individual or organization interested in planning sales or solicitation must fill out and submit a Sales and Solicitation Form.

What are the raffle guidelines?

An on-campus individual or organization interested in having a raffle as a fundraiser must fill out a Sales and Solicitation Form and follow the UP sales and solicitation policy. In addition, the following conditions must be met in order for a raffle to be approved:

  • Alcohol, tobacco products, or lottery/scratch off tickets may not be a part of the prize(s).
  • The sponsoring organization of the raffle will not need a permit. However, because of the potential use of the University's tax i.d. number (if all raffles held this year exceed $10,000 in handle), the group must report to the Office of Student Activities the total amount of tickets sold and earnings. This report will help student activities track the University's progress toward the $10,000 total.
  • Each ticket must hold the same value. For example, one cannot give the purchaser a break for buying a larger quantity of tickets.
  • All ticket and cash control procedures must be submitted to the Office of Student Activities for approval.
  • No one from the planning group may enter the raffle.
  • As written in the UP sales and solicitation policy, no door-to-door solicitation is allowed.
  • A third party, not associated with the sponsoring organization must draw the winning ticket to remove any doubt of bias.
  • The date and time of the drawing must be public and those who purchase a ticket must be informed of this information.
  • The name of the sponsoring organization must be clearly printed on the ticket as well as any marketing materials for the raffle.
  • Tickets must be serially numbered and printed in such a way that they cannot be counterfeited.
  • Raffle tickets may not be sold to anyone under the age of 18 without parents witness and consent.

If you have questions regarding UP policy of raffles, please contact the Office of Student Activities. For more information on the universities policies and procedures related to sales and solicitation please see Life on the Bluff.

Travel and Transportation

What is a University trip?

A University trip is defined as any travel to and from the University sponsored by a department, faculty, staff, or student organization for which the University provides planning, financial assistance, and/or general guidance for the purpose of fulfilling an aspect of the University’s mission for business or education. The Office of Student Activities classifies trips into four categories: local travel, day trips, extended trips, and international travel.

  • Local travel is defined as travel within the Portland Metro area that does not involve an overnight stay.
  • A day trip is defined as travel outside the Portland Metro area that does not involve an overnight stay.
  • An extended trip is defined as travel outside of the Portland Metro area that involves one or more nights away from the University.
  • For international travel involving students, organizers should consult the international travel protocols from the General Counsel’s office.


How do I get approval for a University trip?

In order to seek approval for day trips or extended trips, the sponsoring organization must provide to the Office of Student Activities the following information via the Travel Request Form on Engage:

  • Name of sponsoring club or organization
  • Name and contact information of trip leader(s)
  • A complete list of participants
  • A general itinerary including departure and arrival dates and times for each destination
  • The proposed transportation plan, including modes of transportation and names of drivers (if travel involves driving)

Please review Life on the Bluff for a complete description of the University’s travel policies.

Do I need a chaperone for a University trip?

A student representative from the sponsoring organization must accompany the trip. The Office of Student Activities may require a University chaperone on certain trips, particularly on overnight trips. In these cases, the sponsoring organization is responsible for recruiting a full-time faculty or administrative staff member to serve as the University representative. Once approved, a signed waiver form detailing the potential risks of participation will be collected from each participant before departure. Waivers are available from the Student Activities Office and must be obtained in advance. Any groups conducting or sponsoring trips through other departments or programs must meet these requirements and any additional requirements of that department or program.

Can I drive my own vehicle for a University trip?

Any student driving their personal vehicle OR a university owned vehicle for University or club-related purposes is required to complete the driver safety training provided by the Department of Public Safety. To find out when this is offered, contact public safety at 503.943.7161 or

How do I reserve an ASUP van?

Clubs, organizations, and departments can call, email, or visit the Office of Student Activities to reserve the ASUP vans. There are two vans available and each van fits seven people, including the driver. In order to make a reservation, follow these steps:

  1. Check to see if the dates needed are available.
  2. Ask for the number of vans needed (1 or 2)
  3. State the location of where the club or organization is going.
  4. State the time when the club or organization will be using the vans.
  5. State the name, email, and cell phone number of each certified driver.

Once the Office of Student Activities creates the reservation, they will send the driver a confirmation email for the van reservation. 

Do I have to be certified to drive the ASUP van?

Yes, all students, staff, and faculty have to be certified to drive the ASUP vans. You can be certified by taking the online safety test and then submitting the form to Public Safety. Please contact Public Safety for the link to the test.

Resources and Forms

Where can I receive club mail?

Mailboxes are not provided for all clubs and organizations. Club mail is delivered to the Office of Student Activities in St. Mary's Student Center. It is the club’s responsibility to respond to notices that mail has been received. Mail will be held for two weeks and can be picked up during office hours.

If your club will receive mail from off-campus sources, you may give the following mailing address:                        

Club Name
Office of Student Activities
University of Portland
5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, OR 97203

What email address should I use for my club?

Each club can set-up a UP club email alias to communicate with constituencies outside of the university. The club email alias will be linked to a designated club officers’ personal UP email account. Emails can be sent to the email alias chosen, but emails cannot be sent from the alias.

For example, the Chess Club may choose an email alias such as, and have the alias attached to the club president’s personal email account. When someone wants to send an email to the Chess Club they can send an email to, and the email will be sent directly to the club president’s personal email account. However, when the club president responds to that email the email name will be the personal name of the club president, and not the club email alias name.

Please note this is not an individual email account for the club. The club officer the email alias is linked to will have to be changed every year or whenever the designated club officer receiving the email changes.

The university does not recognize independent external club email addresses (ie. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) as official club communication.

To set-up a club email alias, please contact the UP Help Desk.

Where can I store club materials?

There is limited storage space beneath St. Mary’s Student Center that clubs can request. Any club interested must contact the Office of Student Activates first to assess if OSA can accommodate the club’s needs.

Where can I find forms?

Click on the name of the form you would like to access:

Hold Harmless (Liability) Waiver

Event Submission

Reimbursement Forms

Travel Request Form

Sales and Solicitation Form

Chalking Request Form

ADvantage Design Order Form

Pilots Audio and Lighting Order Form