Apply as a Transfer

Students planning to transfer 26 or more college semester hours or 39 or more quarter hours may be considered for admission if they have an overall grade point average of 3.0 and are in good academic standing in the college most recently attended. Students who have fewer than the required college credit hours listed above will need to submit an official final high school transcript. You may submit SAT or ACT scores if you would like them used in your application evaluation.

Only transferrable credits are counted in determining class standing when students transfer from an accredited college or university. (Students are classified as a sophomore if they have obtained at least 30 semester hours of credit; as juniors, 60 hours; as seniors, 90 hours.) 

Credits designated as transfer (100-level or above) with a grade of C (2.00) or higher, may be accepted from accredited community colleges and baccalaureate degree-granting institutions, as well as by professional accrediting agencies when appropriate. Academic credit for other courses and advanced placement may also be given with approval of the dean.

Engineering Applicants: 
For information on the transfer engineering program requirements please visit the Shiley School of Engineering website.

Dual Enrollment (taking college classes while in high school)
Use the first-year application.  University of Portland will evaluate college courses for credit transfer with grades of C or higher and 100-level or above. Use the transfer application only if you have already earned a high school diploma and are enrolled in or have taken college courses since graduating from high school.

If you have questions about how your college courses will transfer or need guidance on what college courses to take as you prepare to attend UP, please contact Linda Cannard, Senior Associate Director of Transfer Admissions, at


Office of Admissions is open Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.