Tax Information | University of Portland

Tax Information

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, and taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment and academic status. Beginning in 2003, educational institutions must also report amounts to the IRS pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants, whether they are taxable or not. A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student. This form is informational only. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits. Receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate eligibility for the tax credit. It should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all the information needed to claim a tax credit. To determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid, and the amount of scholarships and grants received, a taxpayer should use their own financial records, and carefully review IRS Form 8863. While the University will provide you with the 1098-T form, we cannot provide you with any tax advice or assistance in determining whether you are eligible.

The IRS Form 1098-T will be available to students by January 31. This form will provide you with the following information:

  • A summarization of the total amount of payments made towards qualified tuition during the calendar year
  • Summarization the total amount of scholarships and grants received during the calendar year
  • Indication if the student attended at least half-time during the calendar year
  • Indication if the student was a graduate student
  • Indication if some of the qualified tuition, scholarships and grants were adjusted from a previous reporting year

You can access your 1098-T form online from your Self Serve account:

  • Log into your Self Serve account
  • Select Student Accounts
  • Select Tax Notification
  • Enter the correct Tax Year

You can also request a copy of your current and previous year 1098-T forms at or 866.428.1098.

A 1098-T form will not be generated for International non-resident alien students.

For information and assistance in the calculation of any applicable education tax credit or in the preparation of your income tax return, we recommend you contact a tax preparer, refer to IRS Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Higher Education) or contact the IRS at 800.829.1040 or TTY 800.829.4059.