Student Accounts FAQs

Can I get into my dorm and/or access my Pilot Points if my account is not paid by the first day of class?

You will usually have no trouble with dorms or food service, but if your account is not paid by the the due date you should contact the Office of Student Accounts to avoid receiving a late fee or student account hold.

How do I get money to buy my textbooks?

You buy your books from your own funds unless you have financial aid that overpays your student account. If you expect an overpayment, the Office of Student Accounts will advance you funds to purchase textbooks up to the amount of the overpayment or the cost of your textbooks, whichever is less. You must obtain a voided receipt showing your book total from the bookstore and bring it to the Office of Student Accounts. You will receive a voucher made out to the University of Portland Barnes and Noble Bookstore. You may request a book advance the Monday before classes begin through the first day of the semester, however, the Office of Student Accounts is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

If my financial aid overpays my account, when can I pick up my refund?

Refund requests for students with Direct Deposit will be initiated twice a week, typically on the Tuesday or Friday after the credit appears on the student account. Once the request has been generated it will be deposited to the account the student has designated within 5 business days. Refunds for students who have not signed up for Direct Deposit will be initiated once a week, and may take up to 8 days for the refund to be fully processed and mailed. The refund check will be mailed directly to the student. We encourage all students to sign up for direct deposit-please click this link for information on how to set up Direct Deposit. Email notifications will be sent to the up.edu account when the refund has been processed. Due to the high volume of requests, there may be a delay in the processing of student refund checks during the first two weeks of each semester.

I've had a credit on my account for over a week. Why haven't I received a refund?

Possible reasons you have not received your refund include:

  • Refunds will not be processed until after the first day of the semester; no refunds will be issued prior to the start of the semester.
  • A refund may not be processed until there is an ending credit balance on the student account.
  • There is a two-week holding period for credits that result from an overpayment from a check or e-payment of any kind.
  • Credit balances under $1.00 may not be refunded unless requested, and will be written off if they are over one year old.
  • Refunds are not issued for students with monthly payment plans (Nelnet) until the plan is paid in full.
  • Credits from Parent Plus loans are issued to the parent who took out the loan unless the parent has submitted written authorization to issue the check to the student.

How do I get my ID card validated?

Students are no longer required to obtain a validation sticker. However, accounts with a balance after the due date are subject to late payment fees.

I've lost my refund check. What do I do now?

You can request to have your refund reissued by submitting the Lost Check Form to the Controller’s Office on the 5th floor of Waldschmidt Hall.

  • There is a  $50.00 processing fee for reissuing an Accounts Payable student refund check, however, the processing fee will be waived if you sign up for direct deposit.
  • It takes at least ten (10) business days after the check has been reported lost for a new refund to be processed.
  • Once a check has been reported to the Accounts Payable Office for reissue a stop payment will be place on the original check.  This action will void the original check.  If you cash or deposit the original check, you will be liable for all costs incurred by your financial institution.
  • All students are encouraged to sign-up for direct deposit.
  • If you choose to have a paper check reissued you need to be sure your current address is correct on PilotsUP.

If I have a work/study job, when do I get paid?

Payday for student employees is the 10th and the 25th of each month. Paychecks will be direct deposited or mailed to students by the payroll office.  We encourage students to sign up for Direct Deposit.

How often will I be billed for tuition and fees?

The University of Portland bills students on a semester basis for tuition, fees, room and meal plan, and other incurred charges. The initial statements for fall semester are distributed in the beginning of July, spring semester in mid-November, and summer semester in the beginning of April. Subsequent statements are emailed to students' UP email address on a monthly basis thereafter.

If my parents call, can you tell them how much I owe?

The Student Account Office cannot release any information regarding your account, including the account balance to anyone other than you, unless you have authorized your parent or other individual access by establishing a Proxy user account.
To add a Parent Proxy:

Parent Proxy Access Information

Parent Proxy Instruction Pages

In order for Proxy(s) to have conversations with UP personnel concerning FERPA protected information, a passphrase must be established for each Proxy. The passphrase enables university personnel to confirm the identity of the Proxy for verbal conversations. A passphrase is needed even if a student has previously completed the PilotsUP Student Records Release form. The passphrase option can be found on the Self Serve account by selecting the Proxy Access tab and then the Profile tab. There is currently no set format for the passphrase, so students can use whatever will be easy for their Proxy to remember, but the Proxy must know the passphrase outright in order to discuss student information. The Proxy will not be prompted with a question as with the previous Student Records Release process.

How can I tell if my health insurance waiver has been processed?

Your insurance waiver has been processed if your invoice has “Health Insurance Waiver” and a credit in the column listed under "Actual Payments". If your invoice does not reflect the insurance waiver and you think you have turned one in, contact the Office of Student Accounts. You have only until the end of the first week of school to process the waiver.  

If I have my own insurance can I use the Health and Counseling Center at UP?

Yes. All full time students are entitled to use the services of the Health and Counseling Center.

What is the Student Activities fee?

The Student Activities fee is assessed by the Associated Students of the University of Portland (ASUP) to provide support for student organizations and concerns, and to finance social, educational, and cultural activities for students.

Who is charged professional tuition?

Business, computer science, economics, engineering, education, and nursing courses are charged an additional $50.00 per credit fee.

I paid a $400 deposit. Why does only $300 show as a credit on my invoice?

If you are living on campus, $100 of the deposit is applied as a damage deposit while you are living in the dorm. It will be refunded when you leave the dorm. The other $300 applies toward your fall tuition. If you are not living on campus, the entire $400 applies toward your fall tuition.

Why is my loan money not on my invoice?

Typically loan money will not appear on your account until 10 days before school begins. You may view your student account online using the UP Portal to see if your loan has credited your account.  All required financial aid paperwork must be submitted before loans can be disbursed to your account. For additional information please contact the financial aid office at 503.943.7311.

My award letter says my Direct Unsubsidized loan is $2,750, but my student account and invoice show $2,721.00 Why?

There is a 1.062% Loan Origination Fee for Federal Direct Student Loans, and a 4.248% Loan Origination Fee for Federal Direct PLUS Loans. The award letter reflects the amount you repay; your student account and invoice reflects the net amount you receive. The Loan Origination Fee Estimator will help you to determine the net amount of your loans after the origination fees are withheld.

Can I cash a check?

The University provides check cashing service to all current students, staff and faculty up to $75.00 a day. Students should remember that a current University of Portland ID card is necessary for all transactions.

What happens if my check is returned unpaid?

The University of Portland's bank will automatically deposit the check two times before it is returned to the University. A $50.00 fee plus the amount of the returned check will be charged, and a hold will be placed on the student account until the balance is paid in full. A notice will be mailed notifying the student of the returned check. Accepted payment methods are cash, money order, cashier's check or wire transfer; a personal check may not be accepted. In addition, check-cashing privileges may be revoked.

Why didn't I receive a 1098-T tax form?

You will not receive a 1098T-if one of the following applies to you:

  • You have received scholarships, grants, third-party payments, tuition remission and/or tuition exchange in the amount equal to or in excess of your qualified tuition and fees.
  • You are not a U.S. citizen
  • You graduated in spring semester. You may have paid for spring semester in November or December of the prior calendar year, and so the payments for that semester would appear on the prior year’s 1098-T.
  • The address listed on your Self Serve account is no longer current