International Students

International students are welcome to work on campus provided they meet the same criteria as other student employees (are admitted to a undergraduate or graduate degree program and are registered at least half-time).

International students should complete a Form I-9 and have their supervisor complete a Hiring Proposal through the Hire Touch system that indicates the student is an international student and has not completed the Form W-4. Before the student may begin working, he or she must apply for and receive a Social Security card and complete a Form W-4.

The Office for International Student Services assists students with the gathering of required documentation in order to apply for a Social Security card. The student will need to take all of the following items to the Social Security Administration Office:

  • A completed application for a Social Security number
  • Passport, I‐20 Form and other forms of identification
  • A letter from the UP Office of International Student Services confirming student status
  • A letter from the UP Office of Financial Aid confirming work eligibility
  • A copy of the Hiring Proposal 
  • A current class schedule

Processing can take 4‐6 weeks before the student receives a Social Security card. The student may not begin working on campus until all required documentation has been completed (Form I-9, Form W-4, and Hiring Proposal). Once a student receives his or her Social Security card, he or she goes to the Office of the Registrar with the Social Security card to have the Social Security number entered into BANNER. Then he or she must return to the Office of Financial Aid to complete the Form W-4. He or she will then be entered in the employment system and may begin working.

By IRS regulations, income taxes may need to be withheld from each paycheck. International students are exempt from contributions to FICA and Medicare, but they may not claim exempt from withholdings. To receive any refund or all withholdings, the student must file federal and state income tax returns each year.

  • International student employees are limited to working no more than 20 hours per week when classes are in session and no more than 29 hours per week during school breaks.

  • International student employees must stop working the day that their degree is conferred. Time sheets must be submitted immediately.