Europe Travel Registration | University of Portland

Europe Travel Registration

From November 2023 onwards, US passport holders (and other non-EU country passport holders) are required to do an online registration called ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) to enter many countries in Europe. You may or may not be aware that the U.S. has a very similar system called ESTA where people who are coming to visit the U.S. are required to do an online registration. The goal of this new system is to improve security and make things faster in the airport for the average traveler. This is essentially a quick automated database check to “flag” anyone with security concerns. Learn more here. 

Schengen Countries 

  • The Schengen (pronounced Shane-gihn) Agreement makes travel between many European countries easier. ETIAS applies to these countries. SCHENGEN COUNTRIES: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland 
  • ETIAS does not apply to European countries not part of this agreement. NON-SCHENGEN COUNTRIES: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria*, Croatia*, Cyprus*, Georgia, Ireland, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania*, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom 

*Croatia Cyprus Bulgaria & Romania may require ETIAS as they are becoming Schengen countries 


How do I know if I need to register online with ETIAS? 
Summer (or other Short-Term) Programs in “Schengen” European Countries: YES, you will need to register online through ETIAS. 
Semester Programs in “Schengen” European Countries: NO, you will be applying for a student visa, which is valid for 6 months, so you do not need to register with ETIAS.

Do I need a valid passport in order to register with ETIAS? What if my passport is expiring? 
Yes, a valid passport is required. To travel to Europe, you need a passport with a minimum validity of at least 3 months beyond the period of your expected stay in Europe. If your passport will expire within 3 months after your program ends, you will need to renew your passport. 

How and where do I apply? 
You apply online (an app will probably be created in the future) and need your passport information and method of payment. 
You may be asked to provide: Full name, Date and place of birth, Current address, Parents’ information, Passport and other nationality details, Security information (Questions about Past European travel information, Drug use, Terrorism, Human trafficking, Travel to conflict areas, Criminal history, Employment history) 

What does it cost? 
You will need to pay a fee, around $10 USD or less. (The fee is 7 euros but subject to change)

How long is ETIAS valid for? Can I go back to Europe without registering again? 
Three years, unless your passport expires sooner. You can enter a Schengen country again within 3 years without submitting a new ETIAS registration if your same passport is still valid. If you have a new/renewed passport, you will need a new ETIAS registration to enter Schengen countries.

How long does it take? 
Typically, ETIAS registration should take no more than 10 minutes for you to submit. This is an automated online system, so you will most likely receive your approved ETIAS within minutes. In very rare cases, it could take up to a month for someone to get approved through ETIAS, but this is unlikely.

Is this a “visa”? 
No, it is an online registration system that authorizes travel that is 90 days or less to certain countries in Europe. Many semester study abroad students need to apply for a visa or residence permit to be in their host country for a designated amount of time, but ETIAS is not a visa for Europe, it is an electronic travel authorisation, also known as a visa waiver.

What if I am not a U.S. passport holder, or have more than one country of citizenship (two passports)? 
If you have a passport from a Schengen country, you do not need to register with ETIAS. 
Depending on your passport country, if you are studying in Europe and are not a European passport holder, you may need to register with ETIAS, or you may need to apply for a “Schengen visa” which requires more paperwork and often submitting a visa application at a consulate or visa processing center in person in the U.S. - reach out to the Study Abroad Office if this applies to you. (You can see a map of which countries typically require ETIAS vs. A Schengen visa here)

What about the United Kingdom and Ireland? 
To visit the U.K. (England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland) or Ireland, ETIAS does not apply, because the U.K. and Ireland are not part of the Schengen agreement. 
If you are studying in the U.K. or Ireland and want to visit a European Schengen country, you will need to register for ETIAS.