Some limited funding may be available for UP study abroad scholarships, depending on the year. When scholarships are available, students will get information on how to apply.

Below is a list of external study abroad scholarships not affiliated with UP. 

Need-Based Scholarships

  1. US State Department Financial Aid for Study Abroad
  2. First Trip ($1,500)
    1. Funds available for students traveling abroad for the first time
    2. Trip abroad destination must be an eligible country
    3. No essay or GPA requirement
    4. Applications are considered on a rolling basis
  3. Gilman Scholarship ($100-$5,000)
    1. Has supported students who have been historically underrepresented in education abroad, including but not limited to:
      1. First-generation college students, ethnic minority students, students with disabilities, students attending HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) or other minority-serving institutions, students attending community colleges, and students coming from U.S. states with less study abroad participation.
    2. Eligibility
      1. A citizen of the United States
      2. Recipient of a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during their study abroad program or internship
    3. Competitive selection process
  4. Explore the World Scholarship ($2,000)
    1. Recipients receive $2,000 to help finance their international trip that includes an educational or service component
    2. Eligibility 
      1. Be 18-30 years old
      2. A citizen of the United States or permanent resident
      3. Demonstrate financial need 
  5. Fund for Education Abroad
    1. General scholarship
      1. Comprehensive application to be considered for all available scholarships (general and specific)
    2. Scholarship award of up to $1,000 for students who plan to study abroad for the full year; up to $5,000 for students who study abroad during the fall or spring semester; and awards that are decided based on the number of weeks-in-country (with a minimum of $1,250) for students studying abroad during summer
    3. Eligibility:
      1. A citizen of the United States or a permanent resident
      2. Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university 
      3. Study abroad program must be eligible for credit at student's home institution
      4. Study abroad program must be at least 4 weeks in country/countries
    4. What you'll need:
      1. Completed application form
      2. Unofficial transcript
      3. Request recommendation letter
      4. Submit financial aid form to registrar
  6. U.S.-Japan Council: The Toshizo Watanabe Study Abroad Scholarship Program
    1. Provides financial assistance to undergraduate/graduate students for a semester or year-long study abroad program in either the U.S. or Japan
    2. Support students who would not be able to study abroad without financial support
    3. Scholarship awards up to the full costs of attendance to the study abroad program of the applicant's choice
    4. Eligibility:
      1. A citizen of the United States or permanent resident
  7. Shawn Carter Foundation Scholarship Fund
    1. The grant can be used to cover tuition expenses and related supplemental educational expenses such as books, lab fees, travel, and select costs of living
    2. Eligibility:
      1. Undergraduate college students, and students in trade school
      2. US citizen or permanent resident 
      3. 25 years old or younger
      4. Minimum 2.0 GPA
    3. If awarded, Shawn Carter scholars are required to "give back" by conducting community service and by serving as mentors to younger, aspiring Shawn Carter Scholars
    4. Provides $1,500 to $2,500 to students who qualify and can be renewed for 4 years


General International Education Scholarships

  1. Gilman-McCain Scholarship ($5,000)
    1. The Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for child dependents of active-duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs
    2. Eligibility
      1. A citizen of the United States
      2. Recipient of any type of Title IV federal financial aid during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving Title IV federal financial aid during their study abroad program or internship
  2. Scott's Cheap Flights Study Abroad Scholarship ($1,000)
    1. Open to undergraduate and graduate students
    2. Eligibility
      1. A citizen of the United States or resident
  3. Tortuga Study Abroad Scholarship ($1,000 and a travel backpack)
    1. The Tortuga Study Abroad Scholarship is awarded biannually to passionate students who want to explore the world
    2. Eligibility
      1. A citizen of the United States, permanent resident, or currently studying in the US on a student visa
      2. Be a full-time undergraduate students
      3. Have applied to or have been accepted to a study abroad program
  4. James G. Stemler Study Abroad Scholarship ($1,000 - 2,000)
    1. Ten $2,000 scholarships and ten $1,000 scholarships established to help qualified members offset the costs of study abroad. Candidates will be considered on the basis of merit.
    2. Eligibility
      1. Alpha Lambda Delta members who have paid their annual dues
      2. Cumulative GPA of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher
  5. Boren Awards ($8,000 - $25,000)
    1. Fund study abroad by U.S. undergraduate students in world regions critical to U.S. interests 
    2. Eligibility
      1. U.S. citizen
      2. Matriculated undergraduate student at a U.S. college or university

Additional Financial Aid Resources for non-UP programs

  1. Education in Ireland
    1. Partnered with Diversity Abroad to offer a new scholarship program for study abroad in Ireland. Called the Inclusive Ireland Scholarship. It's open to BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) undergraduate students at US colleges. and universities interested in studying abroad in Ireland.