Flexible Spending Accounts | University of Portland

Flexible Spending Accounts

The Office of Human Resources and the Office of the Controller offer University of Portland employees the opportunity to participate in the Section 125 Flexible Spending Account for both healthcare and dependent care.

Employees are eligible to enroll in Flex Spending Accounts when newly hired, during Open Enrollment or when a qualifying life event occurs. Email benefits@up.edu with inquiries regarding qualifying events or contact the HR office at extension 8484. 

Allegiance is the administrator of employee Flexible Spending Accounts. 

To enroll in a Flexible Spending Account for 2024 please submit the following online form found in Pilots UP: 

Eligible Expenses

Find out which types of expenses are eligible for reimbursement for Medical FSA accounts. 

Rules and Regulations

  • Your Medical FSA can be used for items other than copays and coinsurance. Visit the FSA Store to find out more.
  • You must submit reimbursements for a Plan Year prior to March 30 of the subsequent year. 
  • 2023 Medical FSA accounts will allow unused balances between $20 and $610 rollover into a 2024 account. 2024 unused Medical FSA balances between $20 and IRS projected $640 will rollover to a 2025 account. Dependent childcare FSA accounts are not eligible for rollover. 
  • You must submit a new enrollment form during Open Enrollment to continue contributions from one Plan Year to the next. 
  • For 2024, the maximum Medical FSA amount is projected to be $3,200 per employee and the maximum amount for Dependent Care FSA is $5,000 per household. You are eligible to contribute up to the IRS maximum.