New Student Checklist | University of Portland

New Student Checklist


The first step in preparing to enter University of Portland is to formally accept the offer of admission by submitting your enrollment confirmation form and $400 deposit for first-year students or $300 for Transfers by May 1st. An enrollment confirmation packet that includes deadlines and deposit information will be posted to you in mid-February. If you do not receive the packet, contact us at You may also download the enrollment packet and confirmation form from the Office of Admissions admitted students page.

The enrollment confirmation deposit can be paid by money order, check, cash, or through Flywire. Do not send cash through the postal mail.

Government Sponsored and Exchange Students Enrollment

The enrollment confirmation form is required for all students who will be attending the University of Portland. If you are going to be financially sponsored by your home government, then you are only required to pay a $100 housing deposit. Tuition exchange students are not required to pay the deposit before arriving to campus. However, please keep in mind if you do not submit your enrollment confirmation form we cannot register you for classes.

Canadian Students

Canadian students are not required to have a visa to enter the U.S. At the port of entry to the U.S., state that you are entering for the purpose of studying. Please be sure to obtain an I-94 "Arrival and Departure" card from the immigration officer and request that s/he stamps your I-20 or DS-2019. You are required to present the following documents at the port of entry:

  • I-20 or DS-2019 from the University of Portland
  • Proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee
  • Canadian passport (call ISS at 503.943.7367 if you are unable to get a passport by the date you plan to enter the U.S.)
  • Verification of financial resources (bank statement, GTF contract, scholarship award letter, etc.)

Visa Information

Most international students at University of Portland hold an F-1 visa which gives them permission to live in the United States while pursuing an academic degree. If you do not live in the U.S. (and are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident), you need to apply for an F-1 visa. You will receive a form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) from ISS after you are accepted and have submitted the required financial documents. The US Embassy requires this form along with an application for an F-1 student visa. All visa application requirements and interview information are listed on the US Embassy website in your home country. Due to processing times, it is advised that you begin the application process for your visa two months prior to your arrival. Please visit our Visa Interview Tips page for suggestions on how to prepare for the interview in your home country.

If you already live in the United States with an F-1 visa, review the transfer-in process. If you are residing in the US on another non-immigrant visa or would like information about becoming an F1 visa holder, please let us know.


International freshman students are required to live on campus during their first year. Transfer students are strongly encouraged to live on campus. If you are concerned living on-campus may interfere with religious dietary practices, worship space or other personal issues please contact an international student advisor. Most requests can be accommodated by residence life and our campus dining service. To secure your space in the residence halls, you must complete an online housing application.

Transfer students may choose to live off campus, either in an apartment, a house or with a host family. We recommend living as close to campus as possible.

Pilots UP Email

You will receive a letter from the office of admissions with your Pilots UP username, ID number, and email login after you confirm your enrollment. Pilots UP is a web-based portal that links to your email, University calendar, course registration and grades, and discussion chat rooms. Throughout the summer, information about registering for classes, housing assignments, semester invoice, orientation, and ordering books will be sent to your Pilots UP email. It is important to check your UP email consistently. For questions regarding your Pilots UP email, please email


The Office of International Student Services is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.