Current Students | University of Portland

Current Students

For how COVID-19 relates to International Student Services visit our COVID-19 Page

Maintaining F-1 and J-1 status while studying in the United States is very important.  The web navigation to the left has been designed to assist international students with the maintenance of their nonimmigrant status. Please remember that an ISS advisor is available for further consultation regarding a student’s academic, immigration status, and other issues.

The Office of International Student Services (ISS) offers information, advising, and assistance pertaining to all student-related immigration issues including:

  • I-20s for students with F visas and DS-2019s for Exchange Visitor Program participants with J visas
  • Practical training, academic training, and other work permits for F-1 and J-1 students
  • School extensions and transfers
  • Status letters for U.S. consulates abroad, financial institutions, and the U.S. Social Security Administration
  • Contact and student advocacy with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' (USCIS) Portland office and the Nebraska Service Center
  • Administration of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program for visiting professors, scholars, and students

Maintaining Status

Students at Mirabell Palace in Salzburg

Maintaining Status

It is important for F and J students to maintain legal student status while in the U.S. The following information will assist your understanding on how to maintain status. 

Read More about Maintaining Your Student Status


Non-Immigrant Documents

Know what documents you must have on your person in order to ensure you are maintaining status! Read more about passports, visas, I-20s, DS-2019s, and I-94s.

Read More about Documentation

Student with notebook in engineering lab

Working Off-Campus

Learn about the different conditions J-1 and F-1 students can start working off-campus. 

Read More about Working in the U.S.

A male and female student in graduation cap and gown

Transfer Out of University of Portland

If you plan to transfer from the University to another school in the U.S., either to pursue the same degree program or a different degree program, please meet with an ISS advisor to discuss your plans. An ISS advisor must confirm that you are maintaining valid F or J status and "release" your student record in SEVIS before you can attend another school.

Read More about Transferring

Churches of Salzburg

Traveling as an International Student

If you leave the U.S. at any time during your studies you must be in possession of a valid SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 document, with a valid travel signature, to present to the immigration officer upon return to the U.S. .A valid travel signature notifies the the Department of Homeland Security (ICE, CPB, CIS) that you are maintaining legal student status at UP. If you have substantial changes in the amount or source of your financial support, degree or field of study, or graduation date, obtain a new I-20 or DS-2019 from ISS which reflects the new information before traveling.

Read More about Traveling Outside the U.S.


The Office of International Student Services is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.