Health and Wellness Information | University of Portland

Health and Wellness Information

The Health and Counseling Center provides outpatient care for all students on campus. They offer confidential medical services and counseling to all University students. Most professional care services are provided at no cost. All UP students, regardless of insurance plan, may use the UHC. Nominal fees are charged for medications, injections, medical supplies, and diagnostic and laboratory studies.

Health Insurance

The University sponsors a student health insurance plan which is strongly recommended. Undergraduate international students who do not wish to be automatically billed for the insurance policy offered by the University of Portland must complete the Health Insurance Waiver and present proof of equivalent or greater coverage before the first Friday of classes. Undergraduates not covered by other plans will automatically be enrolled in and billed for the University sponsored health plan.  Dependent spouses and children can also be covered by the University sponsored health insurance plan.

Because health care provided outside of the Health and Counseling Center is extremely expensive, the University requires that all full-time undergraduate students obtain comprehensive health insurance coverage that meets certain standards. Graduate students may choose to enroll in the UP sponsored insurance plan but are not required to do so. Contact for further information regarding other insurance providers.

Basic dental care is also expensive and is not covered by the sponsored plan.  The University's health insurance plan covers dental accidents only.

For more information about the University sponsored health insurance, visit the following websites.

Dental Information

The University health insurance plan covers dental accidents only. It does not cover routine dental procedures such as cleanings, fillings, or replacement fillings. For routine tooth care, you may purchase dental insurance.

Urgent Medical Care

You may have a medical concern that is not an emergency, but you need to get medical help sooner than the University Health Center can provide it. In this situation, a neighborhood walk-in immediate care clinic is a good option. Addresses and phone numbers for clinics near the University that will see a person for a medical concern are:

Legacy Emanuel Urgent Care
2801 N. Gantenbein

Providence Express Care
5300 N Lombard St.
Suite 102


The office of International Student Services is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.