Housing | University of Portland


On-Campus Housing

There are ten dormitories or residence halls on UP campus. To learn more about the different residence halls please visit the Residence Life website. Our office recommends that new undergraduate students live on campus. New students have found this is the best way to meet people and make new friends here at the University. If you would like to talk or email a current student living on campus to ask them advice or questions about living on campus please email the Office of International Student Services at iss@up.edu.

If you are a graduate student and wish to live on campus we recommend living in the University Village, which includes Tyson and Haggerty Halls. These two halls are comprised of three to five bedrooms which have a common kitchen, living room, and laundry facilities. Remember that in order to be considered for housing you must first complete and return the Residence Hall and Food Service contract, as well as pay a deposit to the Office of Admissions. Please understand that the on-campus housing fills quickly, and you should apply online as soon as possible to ensure that a room will be available. If you need on-campus housing during the summer, please contact the ISS office.

Off-Campus Housing

As a returning undergraduate or new graduate student you may choose to live off campus, either in an apartment, a house, or with a host family. It can be difficult to locate the apartment or house of your choice you while you are in another country. You may want to consider traveling to Portland early in order to find a place to live before school begins. If you choose to arrive early we can help you arrange to stay with a host family or find a hotel during the short time while you are looking for permanent housing. Remember when looking for a place to live to keep in mind the location of the University since the areas of Portland extend quite a distance. The University is located in North Portland, and the closest neighborhoods are North, Northeast, Northwest, and Downtown. Try neighborhood maps of Portland to familiarize yourself with Portland.

Host Families

The Office of International Student Services recommends students interested in home-stays to contact ANDEO International Homestays, a local non-profit homestay organization that has been based in Portland since 1981.

We encourage students who wish to live with a host family to contact ANDEO International Homestays. ANDEO works with families around the city to find safe, fun homes for international students interested in being immersed in US American culture. If you would like to live with a ANDEO host family please visit the ANDEO website or find their phone and email contacts below.

If you are a local family interested in hosting a University of Portland student, please visit ANDEO's website to learn more about their programs and to download an application form.

ANDEO International Homestays
Phone: 503.274.1776 or 1.800.274.6007
Email: info@andeo.org

Apartments and Houses - Shared or Private

If you are interested in finding your own housing there are several options available. If you are currently in the Portland area look for postings on bulletin boards around campus placed by students who are looking for roommates or have a room available for rent. The best bulletin board on campus is in the Pilot House.

If you would like to rent your own apartment or house you can begin your search by acquainting yourself with the areas in which you would like to live. To do this, explore new neighborhoods by walking or biking. You may even find a rental sign placed on the property which is just right for you.

Visit the below websites for online information about shared or private rental housing:

On-Campus Housing Questions?
503.943.7205, reslife@up.edu