Admitted Student FAQs | University of Portland

Admitted Student FAQs

What should international students expect for Orientation?

  • International Student Orientation is scheduled for August in the days before the General New Student Orientation. 
  • International Student Orientation is required for any F-1 or J-1 student new to University of Portland. Students in other visa statuses, or with dual US citizenship/residency are welcome to join us, but not required.
  • General New Student Orientation website.

How will I receive my I-20 or DS-2019 (immigration documents)?

  • For students planning to attend UP as an F-1 degree-seeking international student, we need to collect some documents before we can issue you the I-20 immigration document. Please visit our Admitted Student page for more information.
  • Short-term J-1 Exchange students will need to provide proof of financial support and a copy of their passport before we can issue the DS-2019. Please see the checklist of required financial support documents for more information.
  • For students residing INSIDE US, documents will be sent by US Postal Service. For students residing OUTSIDE the US, we will ship documents by UPS express courier and you will receive an email with tracking number when the package ships.
  • If you need to correct submitted information or change your delivery address, please contact

What should I know in regards to visa applications?

What if I need to postpone my start date at University of Portland?

  • For admitted undergraduate students that wish to postpone their start date, we offer the option to defer your enrollment. Please visit the Deferring Enrollment page to learn more about this process.
  • For admitted graduate students that wish to postpone their start date please email the Graduate School at

What if I already attend a school in the United States?

  • Any student currently attending a school (high school, college, or university) in F-1 status will need to contact their current advisor to request a SEVIS record transfer to UP. Please choose a release date AFTER your current school finishes your final term.
  • SEVIS Transfer information page.

What will I need to travel to University of Portland?

  • In order to enter the United States, you will need to present your UP I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 Exchange students), an F-1 or J-1 visa with dates valid for your entry, and a valid passport. Visit our information page to learn more about travel documents.
  • Please review the local government guidance in Oregon and any other US State prior to travel. Certain travel, recreation, and businesses are restricted.

How can I stay connected to UP and International Student Services?