Transfer Process - In or Out | University of Portland

Transfer Process - In or Out

The Transfer-In Process

A transfer student is any student moving from one U.S. school to another U.S. school. You must be in legal student status if you plan to transfer to the University of Portland in F or J status. It is required that you request your current educational institution to transfer your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) record to the University. As long as you have maintained legal student status your institution will grant a "release" of your record in SEVIS to the University. We then issue a new I-20 or DS-2019 to you. Upon arrival to the University it is required that you:

  • Enroll at the University for the next available semester.
  • Bring your I-20 or DS-2019, passport, and I-94 to ISS within 15 days of the beginning of the semester.

The Transfer-Out Process

If you plan to transfer from the University to another school in the U.S., either to pursue the same degree program or a different degree program, please meet with an ISS advisor to discuss your plans. An ISS advisor must confirm that you are maintaining valid F or J status and "release" your student record in SEVIS before you can attend another school.



The Office of International Student Services is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.