Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

During Your Stay & Return Home

This page is intended to help exchange students understand their responsibilities as J-1 exchange visitors in the U.S. and as students at University of Portland. Please read below to learn more about your short-term exchange program at UP.

J-1 Documents, Travel, and Status

It is important for J-1 students to maintain legal student status while in the U.S. We have provided a Travel page to advise international students about immigration documents and considerations for travel. Please visit our Maintaining Status page for additional information and links to forms that will help you maintain your J-1 status while studying and living in the U.S.

Adjusting Your Course Schedule

Exchange students will be assigned an academic advisor in their school or college of study while at University of Portland. Your advisor will assist in course registration prior to arrival in Portland. If you need help adding or dropping a course from your schedule, please contact your advisor for assistance. Undergraduate students should maintain a course load of at least 12 credits per semester, unless otherwise authorized by International Student Services.

Employment During Studies

It is important that you consult with ISS before you accept an offer of employment or begin working. We advise you whether or not it is possible for you to work, and if it is, assist you with the appropriate documents. Keep in mind that it is illegal to begin employment in anticipation of being granted permission to do so; you must have permission first documented on your DS-2019. Generally, J-1 students may work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Full-time work is permitted during official University breaks. Please consult an ISS advisor on J-1 employment options for detailed information on on-campus employment and the types of off-campus work authorization that are available for international students.

Final Transcript Requests

It is the responsibility of each exchange student to request and submit transcripts of University of Portland grades to their home university. Exchange students should follow the Registrar’s instructions for requesting printed or electronic transcripts at the end of each semester. ISS recommends that students request a copy of transcripts to be sent to their home institution, and also request a few official printed transcripts for your own personal future use. Trust us, it is much simpler to request transcripts while in Portland than years later from your home country.


Exchange Student Resources

Questions? | 503.943.7367

The Office of International Student Services is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.