Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Information for Students

How do I apply for CSWS? 

All available CSWS positions are posted on the University of Portland Student Job Board.  The Job Board can be found through the University of Portland's Student Employment page.   Using the tools provided, search the Student Job Board for "CSWS".

In order to apply, students will need to create an applicant profile and submit an up to date resume and cover letter per position.  For questions about this process, please contact the office of Student Employment.

How is student eligibility determined?

Students apply to receive work study funds by filling out a FAFSA form. Work study allotments are granted based on financial need, not academic standing. Allotments are currently capped at $2,400 for most students. Allotments will be verified at the beginning of the term with each student.  

Who pays my wages?

The University will pay 100% of the student’s wages on a bi‐monthly basis. However, the CSWS student worker supervisor is responsible for monitoring the student’s hours worked and verifying a bi‐monthly timesheet. Details on this process will be included in the approved job proposal packet.

What dates throughout the year can I work?

Students may only work during the academic year and not during the summer months. 

How much can I work per week?

Students work schedules will be governed by the policies of both the University of Portland and the host site where their work will take place.  For information about University of Portland Student Employment policies, please check out the Student Employment web page.

Additionally, because the student is paid through their Federal Work Study allotment, the total number of hours worked is governed by the allotment of the specific student. (Example: If a student has a $3,000 work study allotment and is paid $11.25/ hour, the student is eligible to work up to 266 hours in total throughout the academic year.  If the student worked each of the 35 weeks from September 1 through April 30 (including academic breaks), the student could consistently work 7.5 hours per week without going over their allotment.) Once a student earns all of their allotment for the year, they are no longer eligible to be employed by the CSWS program but can continue as a volunteer with the organization if they and the organization desire.

CSWS students will be paid minimum wage ($11.25) for the 2017-18 academic year.

With these points in mind, it is up to the organization and the student to work out a schedule that is suitable to both parties and takes the student’s work study allotment, course load, and schedule into account.

How do I get to my CSWS site? 

You may drive, walk, bike, or use public transportation to access your work site. While the Moreau Center offers small vehicle assistance to students who are volunteering in the Portland Metro area, these vehicles are not available for CSWS use. Any organizations willing to assist in offering their students TriMet tickets or public transportation assistance are welcome to do so.

Learn more about how to get to your service site here

Where can I find additional details regarding student employment?

For more information, review the Office of Financial Aid website.