University-Owned Rental Houses | University of Portland

University-Owned Rental Houses

The University of Portland rents a number of houses and apartments in the neighborhood adjacent to the campus. These properties are rented to students, faculty, and staff on a space-available basis. Married students qualify to rent these off-campus houses. Eligible students must participate in the housing selection process during the spring to secure a University-owned house (UP Rental) or apartment. Check the Rates page for information about rent.

See the House Details Page for floorplans, online tours, and availability of UP owned rental houses.

Frequently Asked Questions about Living in a UP Rental

Selecting a Rental House

How do I get started?

  1. Submit your housing application. Visit the Current Student Housing Application page for more information and this year's timeline.
  2. Form a roommate group within eRezLife of students (all junior status and above) interested in living together. House sizes range from 2 to 6 bedrooms, with most having 3 to 5 bedrooms. Only one student can live in each bedroom.
  3. Prepare a backup plan in case the house(s) you are interested in are not available when your housing selection time-slot becomes available. Decide ahead of time who will leave the group if you need to choose a house with fewer bedrooms.
  4. Familiarize yourself with the houses you are interested in; you can view floor plans and addresses on the House Details page.
  5. The person in your roommate group with the earliest selection time-slot will be able to select from among the available houses, After they select a house, the roommate group will be assigned to that house.
  6. If you successfully choose a UP Rental during housing selection, wait for further instructions from Residence Life to sign a lease for the house you have selected and pay the security and key deposits.

What are the requirements for living in a rental?

  • You must be junior status or above (based on high school graduation, not academic credits, please ask Residence Life for clarification/special circumstances).
  • You must be a full-time UP student and plan to be one next academic year.
  • Your group must be single-gender (unless you are a married couple).

Can we bring in a roommate from outside the UP community?
No, all tenants must be UP students enrolled in classes full time throughout the entire term of their lease.

Rental House Leases

What is the standard lease term?
The standard lease term for student tenants is 10 months. The lease starts on August 1 and continues through May 31, allowing ample move-in time prior to the start of the new academic year and move-out (and clean-up) time at the conclusion of the academic year. All houses must be empty, clean, and restored to “move-in condition” prior to the move-out inspection.

Can we rent a house for 12 months?
While the standard lease term is 10 months, requests for extended lease terms are considered on an individual basis, taking into consideration the students’ circumstances, the University’s needs at the time, and any scheduled property repairs/maintenance. The Office of Residence Life will inform UP Rental residents if they will be eligible for a 12-month lease renewal each spring semester.

Can I stay in my house during breaks?
Yes, you can stay in your house even when the traditional residence halls close for winter break. Leases run August 1 to May 31 and you can live there full time.

Can I stay in the same house next year?
The standard lease term is 10 months, so you should not presume that you can keep the same house from one year to the next. Requests for consecutive lease terms are considered on an individual basis, taking into consideration the students’ circumstances, the University’s needs at the time, and any schedule property repairs/maintenance.

What happens if I want to break my lease early?
When you sign a lease, you (and your housemates) are entering into a legal agreement. The lease is not "month to month" and you are financially responsible for the entire lease term/amount even if you decide to move out early. In the case of extreme personal or family hardship, please contact Residence Life to explain your circumstances; however, even in these instances, it is your responsibility to find your replacement housemate.

Deposits, Rent, and Utilities

Why do I have to pay multiple deposits and fees?

  • After you have selected a house, you will need to pay a security deposit. This will be refunded soon after you move out, assuming that there is no damage to the house.
  • You will also need to pay a $100 key deposit. If you return your key at the end of the year, you will have this $100 refunded to you. If you lose your key, this money will be used to cover the costs of rekeying the house and cutting new keys for all residents. If this happens, you will also need to pay a new $100 deposit on the new key, which will be refunded when you return the key at the end of the year.
  • Finally, you will pay a one-time $100 move-in fee. This covers the costs of repairs, updates, and cleaning for our rental houses. This fee is non-refundable.

All required fees and deposits must be paid in full at the time of the lease signing.

What is the process for signing our lease and paying the required fees/deposits?
The Office of Residence Life will schedule an appointment for your lease signing later in spring semester; each student tenant is required to attend a brief orientation at the time of their lease signing to discuss expectations and responsibilities. Student tenants typically pay their required fees/deposits at the time of their lease signing; we ask you to bring three (3) separate checks for accurate record-keeping. Any student tenants who paid their required fees/deposits directly to the Office of Student Accounts will have to bring their receipts to the lease signing so that Physical Plant can confirm all required fees/deposits have been accurately paid in full prior to the lease signing.

How do I pay rent?
Rent for UP-owned houses will be charged to your student account per semester and is paid for in the same way you paid for living in a residence hall on campus. Each tenant’s portion of the total rent is charged “per student, per semester,” just as room and board is charged for traditional residence halls. UP-owned houses are not considered "on-campus housing," so please check with Financial Aid before signing up for a UP-owned house if you have questions about what your scholarship(s) will cover.

Does my rent cover utilities?
No, you are responsible for paying for all utilities except for garbage. In the first week after moving in, one member of the house must call the gas, electric, and water companies to transfer the utilities into their name. If you want cable or Internet, call the company of your choice to set up an account. All trash/recycling services are arranged and paid for by UP. However, it is your responsibility to be a good neighbor; this means placing your trash/recycling containers curbside on the scheduled pickup day, as well as promptly removing all containers from the street after the scheduled pickup.

How much do utilities typically cost?
Utility costs vary depending on the size of the house and individual behavior/usage; e.g., the temperature setting on the thermostat, how many (and for how long) people take hot showers, etc. For a list of local utilities, please check the Utilities & Services page.

Are cable TV and internet service provided?
No. Cable TV and internet service are not provided. Student tenants are responsible for contracting (and paying for) these services if they are desired.

Is satellite TV allowed?
No. Satellite TV is not allowed. Student tenants cannot install satellite TV dishes or otherwise make any other physical alterations to the house or property.

Do I have to do any yardwork?
No. Landscaping and property maintenance is provided by UP.

Furnishings and Personal Property

Are UP rentals furnished?
Rentals are not furnished. Rentals are equipped with a stove and a refrigerator. Some may have a dishwasher and a microwave, but this is not guaranteed. Some rentals have washers and dryers left from past renters, but UP does not provide these, repair them, or replace them if they become inoperable.

Is my personal property insured by the University?
No. As stated in your lease, UP will not insure renters against any personal injury or property damage. We do not require you to have renter's insurance, but strongly encourage you to consider it. You may already be covered under a parent's insurance.

Can I store my personal items in my rental over the summer?
We do not provide storage for renters who are not staying in their house during the summer. Empty houses with items left unattended can invite vandalism. If you need storage, we suggest either Public Storage or St. John's Storage, both on Lombard.

Rules and Regulations

Are pets allowed?
No. Pets are not allowed in University-owned rental properties, except for emotional support and service animals approved by and registered with Accessible Education Services.

Are the rules for living in rental different from living in a residence hall?
Each student tenant is required to attend a brief orientation at the time of their lease signing to discuss expectations and responsibilities. When you sign your lease, you will see that the student handbook policies apply to those living in a rental house. For example, pets are not allowed, guests of another gender may not spend the night, and smoking is not allowed in the house. You may not paint the walls of your house. Candles are not allowed.

What is expected of me when I move out at the end of my contract?
The house should be completely empty, and property must be restored to 'move-in condition', i;e; refrigerator/freezer empty and clean, all appliances clean, entire house vacuumed/dusted, all window sills and baseboards dusted and wiped clean, toilets/sinks/tubs/showers scrubbed clean, closets empty and clean, cabinets and drawers empty and clean, yard and property neat, all trash and recycling empty (through the most recent pick-up date). Do NOT pile trash or abandoned furnishings at the curb or anywhere else on the property.

There will be one move-out inspection for the entire house and property. When the time comes, one of the tenants must email Residence Life at to schedule a move-out inspection for your house and property; this should be scheduled at least 1-week in advance. All keys must be returned in person to the Physical Plant office (keys may be returned to Campus Safety after hours). All non-returned keys will result in forfeiture of your key deposit.

What steps must my housemates and I take to have the security deposit refunded?
If the entire house and property are not restored to move-in condition, if there are any ripped or missing screens, if there is any trash in the yard, if there is any damage to the house or yard, if there is any abandoned furniture or other property left behind, etc., then all tenants are collectively responsible, will forfeit your security deposits, and will be liable for any cleanup and repair costs in excess of the amount of the security deposit. It is imperative that you do not pile trash or abandoned furniture at the curb or anywhere else on the property: this will result in forfeiture of your security deposit.

What about THC/marijuana?
The University of Portland wants to remind community members of our position on THC/marijuana. Our drug policy is clear that the use of illegal substances and the misuse of legal substances are strictly prohibited. Additionally, THC products and marijuana are still illegal under federal law. Regardless of its status in the State of Oregon, or whether or not an individual possesses a prescription for medical use, THC products and marijuana are banned from our community. UP takes a strong stance against drugs because we care deeply about our students and community members. The University values the personal wellness, health, academic success, growth, and development of the individuals within our community. The University of Portland does not believe that THC, marijuana or other illegal drugs promote the success of our students.


Can I call Campus Safety if I need to?
Yes, Campus Safety is available for rental house residents as well as for traditional hall residents.

What if I have a maintenance issue?
For general maintenance, visit the Facilities Services website and click the "iServiceDesk" button on the right side to submit a work order. For emergency maintenance (e.g., major leak/bursting pipe, furnace breaks down in winter), call Facility Services at 503.943.7306 during work hours (M-F 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.). If you can't reach Facility Services, or if it's not during business hours, call Campus Safety at 503.943.7161.