Assignments & Move-In

How can I see a residence hall room before choosing where I want to live?

Please register for a campus visit through the Office of Admissions. The weekday tours and full Visitation Days include an opportunity to see a residence hall.

Is there a specific hall for first-year students at UP?

The Office of Residence Life is committed to creating supportive living and learning environments that are safe and inclusive; committed to the development of individuals living in community; and committed to a community where mutual respect, faith, and service to others is promoted and valued by all. We house all ages, class years, and groups together in the traditional halls. Haggerty and Tyson Halls are communities for students who are juniors and above.

When will I find out what my assignment is and who my roommate(s) will be?

If you applied by the priority deadline of May 10, your housing assignment will be sent to your UP student e-mail account around July 10. The Office of Residence Life continues to process applications throughout the summer, prior to the start of classes.

I just got my room assignment; can I come see my room?

Unfortunately, we do not have the staff to be able to show everyone their specific room before move-in. You are able to see a standard double room in any of the traditional halls by attending a weekday tour offered by the Office of Admissions. Once the summer semester begins, there are typically no in-hall tours offered as our halls are used for summer students, camps, and conferences, or offline for summer renovations.

How are coed halls arranged?

Traditional coed halls are gender-divided by floor or wing. The bathrooms are single gender. Haggerty & Tyson Halls and University-owned houses are gender-specific by apartment or house. The University's intervisitation policy is applicable to all residence hall communities.

What is a standard room?

Either a double occupancy sized room with two people living in it, a triple occupancy sized room with three people living in it, or a quad or suite occupancy sized room with four people living in it.

When can I move in to my residence hall?

New students may move in to their residence hall room beginning at 9:00 a.m. on the Thursday of orientation weekend. Returning students to the traditional halls and Haggerty & Tyson Halls may move in after 9:00 a.m. on the Saturday prior to the first day of fall semester classes. Following the Christmas break, all students who reside in traditional halls may return after 9:00 a.m. the Saturday before spring semester classes begin. Haggerty & Tyson Halls remain open throughout the Christmas break. Visit the Important Dates page for this year's specific dates.

What should I bring for my residence hall room?

  • Bath towels, a bathrobe, and flip flops/shower shoes. A shower caddy may also be helpful.
  • Twin XL(extra long) sheets, blankets, comforter/bedspread, pillow(s)
  • A few dishes, eating utensils, and glassware. Most of the halls have a limited amount of these items in the kitchenettes, but some residents prefer having their own for snacking in their rooms.
  • A laundry basket or laundry bag and detergent. Each traditional hall has card-operated washers and dryers. We provide ironing boards, but no irons. Detergent pods are OK.
  • School supplies: pens/pencils, scissors, stapler, backpack, etc.
  • A computer. UP computer labs are equipped with both Macintosh and PC computers should you choose to leave your computer at home. All residence halls have ethernet LAN access in each room and all buildings are wireless.
  • A fan; air conditioners are not permitted. Please note that Corrado Hall, Fields & Schoenfeldt Halls, Lund Family Hall, and Haggerty & Tyson Halls are air-conditioned.
  • An approved surge protector/power strip. Most rooms have three or four wall outlets. Non-grounded extension cords without surge protection are not allowed. Daisy-chained power strips (one power strip or extension cord plugged into another) are not allowed.
  • A refrigerator. One per room - size to be limited to 4.5 cubic feet.
  • A microwave. One per room. We recommend a compact microwave, since there are cooking facilities with full-size microwaves available for resident use in each hall. Microwaves with toaster attachments are not allowed due to the fire potential of the toasting element.
  • A bicycle, if desired. Storage is available in each residence hall. We urge you to use a bicycle lock at all times. Campus Safety recommends the "U-Lock." We recommend registering your bike with Campus Safety.
  • A memo board for your room door. Must be tape-back type and not screw-in type.
  • If you plan to hang posters, Physical Plant recommends Command hooks/strips, blue painter's tape, and push pins (for use in plaster walls only, not concrete). Do not use sticky tack, masking tape, adhesive squares, or anything else that will permanently damage or mark the walls. Be aware that if you cause damage so that the wall must be repaired and/or painted, you will be responsible for the cost regardless of which products you used.
  • Furnishings: Clothes hangers, alarm clock, posters/wall art. Small clamp-on lamps are useful.
  • Toiletries: soap, shampoo, toothbrush & toothpaste, over-the-counter medication for colds & flu.
  • Medical information including the name of your health insurance carrier, their address, and group and/or policy number.

What shouldn't I bring with me for my residence hall room?

  • Cooking appliances that utilize open flame or coil heaters, such as toasters, hot plates, gas stoves, barbecues, electric skillets, George Foreman grills, etc.
  • Slow cookers.
  • Space heaters and air-conditioning units.
  • Halogen lamps.
  • Extension cords.
  • Firearms, including but not limited to BB guns, paint guns, pellet guns, explosives, fireworks, dangerous chemicals, or other dangerous weapons such as knives or swords.
  • Pets, except for fish in a small aquarium.
  • Electric Christmas/twinkle lights. Battery operated twinkle lights are OK.
  • Candles or incense

Is smoking permitted in any of the residence halls?

Smoking and/or vaping are not allowed inside any of the buildings on campus, including the residence halls. There are designated outdoor smoking areas around campus.

Can I cancel my housing contract?

You can petition to change or cancel your housing contract. Cancellations are only granted in specific circumstances, such as graduation, transfer/withdrawal, marriage, and study abroad. If you will be continuing as a student but wish to move off campus, you must provide documentation that something specific changed (typically with your financial situation or health) after you agreed to the housing contract. The Associate Director for Housing reviews all contract petitions. Petition forms are available in the Office of Residence Life, Tyson Hall 123, or can be downloaded from the Cancel/Change link.

Can I pay for both beds in a double room?

Currently we do not offer the option to "buy out" a double room so that only one person can live there. Only RAs and students with special housing accommodation needs may live in a double room as a single.

What if my gender identity does not match my housing assignment?

The Office of Residence Life is committed to providing safe and comfortable living environments for all students. Students whose gender identity does not match their current housing assignment and who wish to seek a different housing assignment may contact the Office of Residence Life to discuss their options.

If you are a new student planning to apply for housing, click on "My housing profile" after logging onto eRezLife, our housing software. There you can change your gender designation if needed to ensure that the correct residence halls populate as options on your application.

Room Furnishings & Amenities

What types of furnishings are provided in each residence hall room?

Each room has a twin XL bed and mattress, a student desk, and desk chair for each resident. There are closets (either built in or standalone wardrobes) and drawers for clothing, and a sink and mirror in each room. Each room also has a trash can and a recycling bin.

Can furniture be removed from my room and replaced with my own?

The furniture that is found in each room must stay in the room. There is not enough storage space on campus for all students to put their own furniture in their rooms and remove the existing furniture. That said, students might be able to bring a small piece of furniture for their rooms, as long as all original furniture can still fit in the room. It is a good idea to move all of your belongings into your room and consult with your roommate before you move any outside furniture into the space.

Can I loft or bunk my bed?

Many residence hall rooms have furniture designed to have beds that are raised off the floor. These can be elevated (lofted) or bunked. In most cases, these rooms are set up this way prior to your arrival to maximize the space in the room. If your bed is not pre-lofted, you may make a request when you move in to have your bed lofted. Students are not allowed to construct their own lofts at the University of Portland.

How is an extended double room laid out?

In the event that we need to place 3 students in a double room that can hold 3 people and 3 sets of furniture, generally two beds will be bunked and one will be lofted with a desk and/or dresser underneath. The configuration of dressers, wardrobes, and desks depends on the furniture in that particular hall and what, if anything, is built in. We try to arrange the rooms ahead of time in the way that seems to be most comfortable! Click on the picture below to see some pictures of an extended double room in Schoenfeldt Hall.

Extended double room in Schoenfeldt Hall

How long are the mattresses?

Mattresses are XL twins, 80" long. If you are 6'5" or taller, you may request an XXL mattress (88") by contacting your hall director.

Can I request an extra long mattress?

Most residence hall mattresses are 80", or a Twin XL. If you are 6'5" or taller, you may request an XXL mattress (88") by contacting your hall director.

Should I bring my own sheets and towels?

Yes, students bring their own linens and towels to campus. Students should bring Twin Extra Long sheets for University beds.

Is phone service provided in each room?

Residents who require a landline telephone in their room can make a request for phone setup by visiting the Help Desk in Franz 112. To make a call, you must first dial 6 to get an outside line.

Can I access the Internet from my room?

All the halls have ethernet LAN access and wireless connectivity in each room. Each resident will have a data port to connect to the Internet in their room.

Will my room have access to cable TV?

Individual residence hall rooms do not have cable TV. Cable TV is provided in TV lounges in each of the traditional halls and in living rooms of Haggerty & Tyson apartments. Most students stream TV programs on their computers.

Is there storage available in the halls?

Limited storage is available in each resident's room. Each hall has an area in the basement for storage of larger articles, trunks, and packing boxes. The ability to use this storage is not guaranteed and may have restrictions depending on the hall. See your hall staff for more information about trunk room access hours and regulations. Although the storage areas are secured, residents store belongings at their own risk. The University of Portland is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of any items stored.

Is there bike storage in or around the halls?

Several residence halls have specific bike storage rooms (space permitting). All the residence halls have U-shaped bike racks near the front of the buildings and there are several U-shaped bike racks around campus for storage. Bikes cannot be stored in residence hall hallways or be secured in doorways, handrails, stairwells, ADA access areas, or any area designated as fire exit.

Do I need renter's insurance?

The University assumes no responsibility in most instances if your personal belongings are lost or damaged in your room or in other areas of the hall, such as laundry rooms and trunk rooms. Therefore, we recommend renter's insurance. You may already be covered under a parent or guardian's home insurance. For students seeking to purchase renter's insurance, the University has partnered with GradGuard, a service of Next Generation Insurance Group. You can find more information on our renter's insurance page.

Hall & Room Access

How do I get a UP student ID card?

The Department of Campus Safety issues all UP student ID cards. Campus Safety is located in Haggerty 100 and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To obtain a student ID, please go to Campus Safety with your class schedule, a University invoice, or a payment receipt. You will have your picture taken for the ID card. During new student orientation, the times and locations for obtaining a student ID will be posted. If you live locally or are visiting campus prior to orientation, we recommend getting your student ID early to avoid long lines at orientation.

What is my student ID used for?

Your student ID allows you access to your residence hall and serves as your meal card in University dining facilities. It also allows you access to other residence halls during visitation hours. You should carry your student ID at all times while on campus. Haggerty and Tyson residents access their apartments with their student ID. Lund Family Hall residents access their rooms with their student ID.

Are the residence hall exterior doors locked?

Residence hall exterior doors are locked for the safety and security of our residents. Residents can gain access to their own hall 24 hours a day by swiping their student ID card at the entrance. Students in campus residence halls have swipe access to other residence halls during visitation hours. Other visitors must contact individual residents in advance for entry.

Do I need to carry my room key with me?

The University recommends that you lock your door whenever you leave your room; therefore, it is highly recommended that you have your key with you at all times. Please be mindful that you should coordinate door locking with your roommate(s) in order to avoid a lockout. In the event you get locked out of your room, you can contact a hall staff member or Campus Safety. A fee may be assessed for each lockout. Students in Lund Family Hall access their rooms via their student ID card.

What should I do if I lose my room key?

A lost room key is a serious concern; it not only relates to the safety of the person who lost the key, but to roommates, future residents, and/or conference guests. If you lost your room key, it is extremely important that you immediately report it to a hall staff member so that the room may be re-keyed. It is your responsibility to be aware of where your key is at all times!

When do the residence halls close during the year?

The only time the traditional residence halls close is for the winter break; students who live in traditional halls will not have access to their rooms during this break. Students should make travel plans accordingly. Haggerty & Tyson Halls and University-owned houses do not close. During fall break, Thanksgiving break, spring break, and Easter weekend the halls remain open, but with limited services. All residence halls, including Haggerty & Tyson Halls, close for summer vacation. See the Important Dates page for this year's hall closing dates.

Mail & Other Services

How does mail service work?

Mail service is available on campus. Mail is delivered directly to your mailbox in your residence hall daily, except weekends and holidays. You may also consult with Mailing Services, located in Tyson Hall 132, for your additional postal needs.

Note for incoming students: Boxes, books and other belongings may be shipped to your campus address and arrive no earlier than August 12th. Incoming first-year students and early arrivals may pick up packages at Mailing Services beginning the Monday prior to move-in, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  Mailing Services is also open during Orientation Weekend, and on the weekend prior to the start of classes, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. to retrieve packages. All packages not picked up will be delivered on your normal delivery schedule beginning on the first day of classes. At that time packages will no longer be available for pickup at Mailing Services.

What is my mailing address?

First and Last Name
University of Portland
Hall and Room Number
5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, OR 97203

NOTE: To receive mail from banks, magazine subscriptions, and newspapers, please make sure to provide your first and last name, hall, and room number. If you are limited to a few lines, have your mail addressed this way:

First and Last Name, Hall and Room Number
5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, OR 97203

How does the laundry system work?

Washing machines and dryers are located in each hall. To use the laundry machines in the traditional residence halls, you will need to acquire a Laundry Card and go to an "Add Value" station on campus. Add Value stations are located in the basement of Fields Hall/Schoenfeldt Hall (next to the laundry room) and the Mehling Hall lobby, and allow you to use cash to add money to your card. There is also an "Add Value" station in Shipstad Hall that will allow you to add money to your card using a credit card. One load of laundry costs $1.25 to wash and $1.25 to dry. Students who are new to living on campus will receive a laundry card when they check in to their residence halls.

Haggerty & Tyson Halls have a washer and dryer in each unit and do not need money or a Laundry Card to operate them. Some UP-owned rental houses have washers and dryers left from past renters, but UP does not provide these or repair them.

Are there any banks on campus?

There are no banks located on campus, but multiple branches are located within the surrounding area of the University. An ATM is located in the Bookstore.

Is there recycling or composting in the halls?

Recycling is available in each residence hall and throughout campus. Each student room comes with a recycling bin, and each hall has a designated location where students should bring their recycling. Each residence hall community kitchen has a composting bin for food waste only. Composting is also available in the Commons and the Pilot House dining halls.