Third-Party Payments | University of Portland

Third-Party Payments

The Student Accounts Office accepts authorizations to invoice third party sponsors for tuition and related charges. A third party sponsor is an embassy, government agency, or private company that pays all, or a portion of a student’s invoice directly to the university. 

The third party authorization (contract) must include the organization's name and billing address, the student's name and ID#, and the terms of sponsorship. 
 Contracts must be received by the Office of Student Accounts on or before the tuition due date; students submitting contracts after this date will be subject to a late fee.

Invoices are mailed directly to sponsors in October for fall semester and March for spring semester. If your sponsor will not be covering the full balance due on your student account, you are responsible for paying the remainder before the semester due date in order to avoid a late fee. The University of Portland will not accept sponsorships contingent upon grades or successful completion of the courses.

If for any reason the school does not receive payment from your sponsor, you will be responsible for the resulting balance. It is your responsibility to notify the Office of Student Accounts if there are changes to the terms of your contract. 

Corporate sponsorship is subject to approval by the University of Portland. Please contact the Office of Student Accounts with any questions.


After successfully completing a term of service, AmeriCorps members who were signed up for an education award are eligible to receive a Segal Education Award. This education award can be used to pay education costs at qualified institutions of higher education, to pay for educational training, and to repay qualified student loans. You can make payments from your award in full or in part, and you can take up to seven years after your term of service has ended to use your award.

The amount of the Segal Education Award is tied to the maximum amount of the U.S. Department of Education's Pell Grant. Since the maximum amount of Pell grants can change from year to year, so can the dollar amounts of Segal Education Awards. To confirm the award amount for which you are eligible, call your program or project sponsor.

My AmeriCorps / AmeriCorps Online Payment System

Accessing and managing your Segal Education Award has never been easier. My AmeriCorps, is an on-line system that allows you to obtain information and conduct business regarding your AmeriCorps service and your education award. It provides a one-stop shop for AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA and NCCC applicants, members and alumni - presenting a wealth of information and frequently requested forms and services.

Important Information About Using My AmeriCorps

In order to prevent a delay in the processing of Segal Education Award payments, individuals must request payments electronically using the system, My AmeriCorps. This is a secure, user friendly and fast method for requesting payments to be remitted to qualified schools or loan holders. It also provides electronic records of payments requested and there are no forms to mail.

It is fast and easy to access your National Service Participant account in My AmeriCorps. To register or log into My AmeriCorps, go to and click on "Register to create a new Member/Alum account" and follow the instructions.

For further information on the benefits of AmeriCorps service and the Segal Education Award, please visit:

Veteran's Programs

Many veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefits program, including:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill ® (chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill ®(MGIB, chapter 30 and chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, chapter 1607)
  • Post Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance program (VEAP, chapter 32)

Depending on your individual circumstances, one of these programs may give you better benefits than the others. Please use the GI Bills ® Benefits Tool to help you determine what benefit is best for you and how to apply for it.

VA Overpayments

When you enroll in school and take classes, you enter into an agreement with the University of Portland to pay tuition and the associated fees. VA pays the tuition and fees to the school on your behalf when the School Certifying Official (SCO) certifies that you are enrolled in classes. If you decrease your training time (i.e. drop classes, leave school, etc.) or it is determined that your benefits have been overestimated for any reason after a payment has already been processed, an overpayment will occur. By law, you are responsible for any debt incurred while receiving benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill ®. VA is required by law to recoup any debt; and may collect the overpayment from you or from the University. If the University of Portland repays VA on your behalf, you are still responsible for the incurred debt, and must repay the school. A decrease in your credit hours could also result in changes to your housing allowance and books & supplies stipend. If VA has already issued you a payment for the term a debt will be created on your account.

You are responsible for keeping track of your tuition and fee account balance. Visit the Student Accounts office regularly to review your account, ensure the charges are correct and that payments and refunds are processed correctly. Contact your SCO to make sure the certifications sent to the VA match your schedule.

Please contact the Debt Management Center if you receive a debt notification from the VA. The Debt Management Center is the authoritative source of debt collection information. You can reach them at 800.827.0648 or e-mail them at

Veterans with Disability

If you are an active duty service member anticipating at least a 20% service-connected disability rating, or a veteran with a 20% disability rating or greater, you should first determine any benefits to which you are entitled under Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E, chapter 31).

NOTE: If you need any help making your choice, VA Vocational and Employment counseling help is available to all veterans toll free at 1.800.827.1000. You also can discuss your options with a VA education benefits specialist by calling toll-free 1.888.GIBILL.1 (1.888.442.4551) or TDD at 800.829.4833.

Additional information regarding Department of Veterans Affairs policies and programs may be obtained from the Veterans Coordinator, located in the Financial Aid Office in Waldschmidt Hall, Suite 120. Telephone: 503.943.7311. For your convenience, additional veterans' information, including downloadable forms and applications are available on the DVA website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at